I have a problem with a login code I've written:

[code]<?php
session_start();
$user = $_POST['username'];
$pass = $_POST['password'];
$_SESSION['username'] = $user;
$_SESSION['password'] = $pass;
?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>PHP Photograph Gallery</title>
<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
<body>

<?php
include("links_private.inc");
?>

<table class="page" align="center" cellpadding="15" cellspacing="0">
<tr><td class="header"><h1>PHP Photograph Gallery</h1><br />Login Successful</td></tr>
<tr><td>

<?php
if ((!$_POST['username']) || (!$_POST['password'])) {
    header("Location:login.htm");
    exit;
}

include("dbconnect.inc");

$sql = "SELECT f_name, l_name from tbl_users where username = '$_POST[username]' AND password = password('$_POST[password]')"
    or die(mysql_error());
$result = mysql_query($sql, $conn)
    or die(mysql_error());

$num = mysql_num_rows($result);

if ($num == 1) {
    $f_name = mysql_result($result,0,'f_name');
    $l_name = mysql_result($result,0,'l_name');
} else {
    header("Location:login.htm");
    exit;
}

echo "<p class=\"centre\">Welcome $f_name $l_name!</p>";
?>

<p class="centre"><a href="admin.php">Continue to Gallery Administration</a></p>

</td></tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>[/code]

whenever I try to log in with the username and password field as empty it gives me this error:

[code]Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\galleryuploader\auth_login.php:18) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\galleryuploader\auth_login.php on line 28[/code]

and when I try and log in with incorrect details in the username and password field it gives me this error:

[code]Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\galleryuploader\auth_login.php:18) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\galleryuploader\auth_login.php on line 45[/code]

...when i was hoping it would use the 'header("Location:login.htm");' to send the user back to the login page.

Any ideas why it's doing this anyone?
Thanks!

[!--quoteo(post=360866:date=Apr 2 2006, 03:11 PM:name=redbullmarky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redbullmarky @ Apr 2 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]360866[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
hi

there are several pinned topics entitled things such as 'Read here before posting' and 'Do you have header/session problems'. You really should read those first.

Cheers
Mark
[/quote]

Sorry I couldn't find them, there was only:

Pinned: Have you been helped here?
Pinned: Simple Error Handling/Form Validation Logic
Pinned: MYSQL_SOMETHING - INVALID RESOURCE
Pinned: DO YOU HAVE PHP SESSION PROBLEMS?

at the top of the forum. :-S

[!--quoteo(post=360867:date=Apr 2 2006, 03:12 PM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Apr 2 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]360867[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
you have some stuff bering printed to the brower window befroe you call header. you need to put header before any output, i dont see why you can not do that in your code. just try to move it above the html
[/quote]

oh i see, so you can't have any HTML or anything before headers? ok I've moved it around and it works now :-) thanks!

[!--quoteo(post=360884:date=Apr 2 2006, 03:47 PM:name=newPHPer)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(newPHPer @ Apr 2 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]360884[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Desdinova is right. Put ob_start() at the very first line of the page and ob_end_flush() at the end. That should solve your problem.
[/quote]

whilst ob_start, etc will work, i kinda sometimes feel that it should be used as a last resort if you HAVE to resend the headers. otherwise, it's just a form of masking a problem or something that shouldn't be there.

[a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12[/a]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.