Echo into text area

avo

HI All

Can Anyone help me out here please

what im trying to do is read a database entry into a text area not a text box as this i can do but what i need to do is read into a txt area then be able to write in it to submit it back to the db .

this is my code

[code]<table width="100%" height="116" border="0" id="head">
    <tr>
<tr class="mTr"><td><p> </p>
    <p>Web site</p></td><td>
      <textarea rows="10" name="S1" value="<? echo $profile->web; ?>cols="20"></textarea></td></tr>    
    </tr>
</table>[/code]

it works with this code

<tr>
    <tr class="mTr"><td>Web Site</td><td>
      <input type="text" name="hometel" value="<? echo $profile->web; ?>"></td></tr>    

</tr>
</table>[/code]

but i need a large area to type in and submit back my database is set up with longtext if you do need to know

thanks in advance.

Im not sure if textarea's can have "values", try this as a test
[code]
<textarea rows="10" cols="20" name="S1" value="It Works"></textarea>
[/code]

just another thing I noticed, you had your "cols" value inside of the "value" tag quotes, but try that.

Try:
    <tr>
    <p>Web site</p></td><td>
      <textarea rows="10" name="S1" cols="20"><? echo $profile->web; ?></textarea></td></tr>    
    </tr>
</table>[/code]

Also don't forget to do the normal processing you would do on the data for display (stripslashes etc), or things might start getting strange.

If you can get away with renaming the textarea for the update then you could use something like

<tr>
    <p>Web site</p></td><td>
      <textarea rows="10" name="S1" cols="20">$name_here</textarea></td></tr>    
    </tr>
</table>[/code]

I did it with a script of mine example below

[code]
echo "<tr>
        <td class=\"content\">Address/Location</td>
        <td class=\"content\"><textarea name=\"addr_ud\" cols=\"60\" rows=\"4\">".$addr."</textarea>
        </td>
</tr>";[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=360979:date=Apr 2 2006, 04:35 PM:name=earl_dc10)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(earl_dc10 @ Apr 2 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]360979[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Im not sure if textarea's can have "values", try this as a test
[code]
<textarea rows="10" cols="20" name="S1" value="It Works"></textarea>
[/code]

just another thing I noticed, you had your "cols" value inside of the "value" tag quotes, but try that.
[/quote]

No there is no value parameter for textarea elements.

[!--quoteo(post=360984:date=Apr 2 2006, 11:47 PM:name=Pezzoni)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pezzoni @ Apr 2 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]360984[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Try:
    <tr>
    <p>Web site</p></td><td>
      <textarea rows="10" name="S1" cols="20"><? echo $profile->web; ?></textarea></td></tr>    
    </tr>
</table>[/code]

Also don't forget to do the normal processing you would do on the data for display (stripslashes etc), or things might start getting strange.
[/quote]

what he said

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.