PDG Homes mockup

jcombs_31

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only gripe is with how far down i have to scan to reach content (nearly half the page at 1280x1024).  this being the home page, however, i doubt this is as much of an issue as it would be for a page in which content is king.

you certainly aren't using 1280x1024 because I can see almost the full page at that resolution.  The only thing I don't see is the footer.

No other page mockups yet, starting that now.  I will be building a custom CMS for the client to present all data for the properties.

I also think that I will be adding the login form at the top right to fill in that space.

The login form is nicely done, unobtrusive but still present; although maybe a horizontal line across the top in the same color as the little tab would help bring it into the page a little more. The button might present a problem though, as on an otherwise gradient-minimal page, it has a gradient and a slight reflection, making it stick out a bit.  And you should move the "About us" link down the menu a little-it's far from the most important thing on the menu for a customer. And you should jettison the "Home" button entirely, unless that's the same navigation scheme you plan to use for the whole site (something that from a usability standpoint I must disagree with, given the sheer size of the header on an 800*600 resolution.)

Agree, added a small line at the top.  Fixed up the menu a little.  I just added a residential page that has the search form and the results  preview.  The results preview will obviously take you to a more detailed page for each property and will also have more results, but you get the idea with the couple results added.

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/misc/pdghomes2.jpg

Personally, I think that on the sub-pages you should make the menu smaller-that big and on an 800*600 resolution the first thing you see is the menu and the header image, and not the important content that people care about. As for the new line, maybe it should be bigger then 1px-I can barely see it. Try something more like 3px maybe?

And for the search form, it looks good, though the button could use a little more color.

I'm not greatly concerned about vertical scrolling for those using 800x600.  I personally don't feel enough people are using that resolution to be overly concerned about it.  I agree on the top bar and I'm increasing the size slightly to about 3px. I'm going to touch up on some other things before I update the images. I also agree the submit button could use a bit more color.  I've played around with a few options and will make a change.

I updated the first 2 pages and added a third page for the more detailed info. The 3rd page was a bit of a rush and would need to be fine tuned, but what do you think of the overall idea behind it.

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/misc/pdghomes.jpg

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/misc/pdghomes2.jpg

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/misc/pdghomes3.jpg

it is an excellent, clean, uncluttered design as always...for some reason I don't like the curved log in at the top...not sure why...there are no other curved features on the page maybe...kind of stands out to me, but I am far from a designer.  but the images chosen convey the right atmosphere for people looking for that perfect home.  it's nice...

it is an excellent, clean, uncluttered design as always...for some reason I don't like the curved log in at the top...not sure why...there are no other curved features on the page maybe...kind of stands out to me, but I am far from a designer.  but the images chosen convey the right atmosphere for people looking for that perfect home.  it's nice...

Thanks, I guess I can see your point about the curves, but I'm going to leave it for now. I have to submit this design to the client and get feedback.  I also have to focus on the corporate real estate because that is a big focus of the company.  I need more info from the client first.

Yes, I do.

I'll let you figure it out on your own. 

I put together a sample html page.  I have to add in some images for the featured properties, but I'm not sure how I want to handle that part. I thought maybe some type of scroll option.

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/clientsites/pdghomes/

What do you think so far?  I did reduce the height of the header slightly.

The features scroller is good. Id be careful of having too many arrows however.

Im not too keen on the login box. That coupled with a small company logo makes for a weak top to the page, in my opinion. Would it be possible to stretch out the Company logo (width wise)(perhaps increase letter spacing also), and to make its presence better.

I suppose it comes down to the client about the login box. I wouldnt have thought it would be a primary area/button for most visitors however. Even if you could have a javascript drop/slide down for the login. Meh..then the top would be a little bare.

Anyways, looks good apart from that. Are you going to rotate/randomise the main picture for every page (or for every reload even)? Its currently just with the man and woman at the moment. I think having a random image appearing would give a sense that the website is been updated etc. (just my thoughts).

-steve

Steviewdr:

Not sure why you don't like the login box, I think it works well, not really anywhere else to put it in the layout without seeming out of place.  The company logo is what it is, I tried to fix up up slightly from what I was given, but not much I can do to stretch it. 

I think the main caption will be a nice little fade in/out transition probably in flash with multiple images, then on the internal pages show a different image for each page.  This is my thought at this point. I did show a couple variations in the initial layout images.

Moberemk:

This will likely be in javascript. If you anyone know of a premade script for this, I would be interested because I'm not a javascript guru.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Javascript scripts that would do that; Flash seems to be the easiest option for it, if you can figure out how to get the dynamic data in; failing at that, you may want to look at what they do on TV.com or Gamespot.com; their featured articles on the front page is very similar to what you seek.

I'd do it in Javascript if I were you. Otherwise you've got to maintain the flash stuff. At least I don't think that there's a good way to automate flash creation. If you can't do it dynamically then you have to change the flash to update the content. In a faced paced market that'll turn into a headache fast. The alternative is to dynamically generate javascript based on content you already have.

On another note the search menu on your HTML page seems to overflow from the side bar into the content area in ubuntu/firefox. Other than that I think the design looks great.

just a question -

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In quis enim sed turpis congue congue. Duis luctus quam ut arcu. Morbi facilisis, neque vel consectetuer sodales, augue nisi vehicula lacus, a dapibus nisl massa non elit. In volutpat sem ac mauris. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nulla blandit nulla in ipsum. Aenean blandit lorem sit amet magna. Maecenas vel ligula. Sed consequat erat nec mauris. Morbi imperdiet feugiat lacus. Duis justo purus, ultricies et, mollis in, tempus suscipit, mi. Morbi quis velit. Vivamus elit purus, bibendum eget, auctor at, luctus ut, tellus. Vestibulum justo.

what does that mean?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.