Long Term Project Pleaz Critique!!!

TheFilmGod

Hey!

First of all, thanks for checking out this post. I appreciate it.

BeastIt.com/index2

To save you some time I have:

I tried validating it, but it still has 100 errors, all with the same error. - Can not use the same ID twice in xhmtl. I think thats total B.S. Check out my post about this in "HTML Forum."

The total load time should be relatively fast. Total KB is about 85. That's not bad, but not great. I'll work on improving it.

Other than that you are on your own!  :D

So what do you think? You like it? Please post usefull comments. Nothing like, "awesome."  ;)

The site looks pretty good. It's kind of dark, which I don't prefer, but that's just a style preference.

My main criticism is that it's not very easy to figure out what the site is/does... at first glance I thought it was a gaming stats site, but after looking for about 10 mins, I guess it's a forum for a high school somewhere?

I'd add pretty obviously somewhere at the top a brief explanation of what it's all about...

Good artwork though. About the ids, you need to have unique ids because they're often used in JavaScript, which gets very confused if you have multiple objects w/ the same id. Classes are nice anyway, because you can define style for many different elemnts with not much CSS code.

Thanks php_tom for your insightful reply. About the purpose of the website - its going to be a gaming site. Where you go up ranks and get to duel other members.

In the future, I'll put an introduction video into it. Once a user has seen the video I would give them a cookie or something like that and track who seen the video and who hasn't. This would explain a lot, as well as give me a chance to hook their attention.

The site looks ok, but you are incorrect, there are 157 errors in your HTML.  You can't repeat an id more than once in a page, you  must use a class.

I think you've lost grasp of why to actually use CSS.  It is to keep your markup clean and allow easy style manipulation.  You have some really messy div soup going on in your code. 

Are you really going to be able to fill the site with the content that you seem to be expecting with all of those place holders?

1.  As was mentioned before, the site looks like it will be a resource pig when it's up.

2.  The site has a "redneck" appeal to it... I assume a down southern high school area? Not a criticism, just what it conveys to me.

3.  The Background color for the body I think needs to have a slight gradient or light texture.  I find solid dark backgrounds gloomy and put's me in the wrong mood.  Either a slight darker top to mid-dark bottom OR a slight repeating pattern for texture.  You don't have to loose the overall color, and it fires the synapses a little.

4.  No completely sure what the site is overall, I think you should understand what the site is in 3 seconds or frustration starts...  when you have real content that may fix itself

I don't know how much it helps, but there you go.

1.  As was mentioned before, the site looks like it will be a resource pig when it's up.

What is that suppose to mean? You mean wanna-be web developers would copy and paste my curve box images and then be stumped on making it work since it uses the css repeat attribute? And then the pros who actually know how to code would have the nerve to copy and paste?

Please explain.

2.  The site has a "redneck" appeal to it... I assume a down southern high school area? Not a criticism, just what it conveys to me.

No. Well I have to work on explaining what the site is, or creating a slogan on the logo.

3.  The Background color for the body I think needs to have a slight gradient or light texture.  I find solid dark backgrounds gloomy and put's me in the wrong mood.  Either a slight darker top to mid-dark bottom OR a slight repeating pattern for texture.  You don't have to loose the overall color, and it fires the synapses a little.

That is a good point. The idea is to get a gloomy feeling but I guess its a bit extreme. I'll work on this. Good idea!  ;D

Thanks for the great critique. It was very well summed up and something I'll def. take back to the production room!  ;)

wow how the hell did you come up with redneck after seeing the site?

please expand on this, i'd like to hear it :)

I'm not offended..just captivated.

LOL.  ;D That is what I was thinking!!!

Dsaba, what do you think of the website? Is it good / bad / anti-redneck? (Gives out a laugh)

As a remainder, the site is currently valid xhtml and is full css, non-table layout!

:Pbeastit.com/index2

By "Resource Hog" the meaning is that the images and content everywhere make for a huge page that will take a long time and a lot of server bandwidth to load.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://beastit.com/index2

I only thing I do not like is the red and light grey, that just burns my eyes. If you are going to have bandwidth issues, then take a look at

servage.net, here is their only plan for $6.45 a month use coupon code lamez to get 25gbs more.

Web features

- 360 GB Web Space (360000 MB) [?] - 3600 GB Transfer [?]

- Unlimited FTP Accounts [?] - FTP Access [?]

- 1000 MySQL Databases (v4 & v5) [?] - FTPS (Encrypted FTP)

- PHP v4.4.4 & PHP v5.2.1 [?] - GD Support [?]

- Shockwave & Flash [?] - Microsoft Frontpage Support

- Custom Error Pages - WAP Enabled [?]

- XML Support [?] - Mod_Rewrite Enabled

- EXIF Support [?] - CGI/Perl [?]

- SSI Support [?] - Python Support

- Private CGI-BIN [?] - ionCube Loader

- Zend Optimizer - Run Zend Encoded Scripts

- Optional Hotlink Protection - CURL Enabled

- PHPMyAdmin - Webbuilder Software Included

- ImageMagick Support - Netpbm Support

- Ruby on Rails - Wildcard Domains

- Password Protected Directories - Full .htaccess & .htpasswd Support

Additional Features (included)

- Web Based Administration Panel - Full DNS Management

- 1 New Domain Included (or transfer) - Multiple Domain Hosting

- Unlimited Subdomains - Own Cronjobs

- Online Web Statistics - Online Filemanager

- Automatic Script Installer [?] - Servage WebDrive (S:)

I don't understand the problem. The whole download is less than 100 kb. Its not that much.

I rather have high quality pictures and a high quality overall look than worry about those still using 56 kbps modems. The people I will be targeting are those using dsl or faster connections. Seriously, I wasted my past year freaking out over the amount of kb I transferred when it isn't that of a big deal. Those who still use dial up gave up on higher user-interactive webpages.

yeah the red against black is kinda bad for me...

I prefer lighter based designs, yet then again dont make it too white cuz then i'll see spots

right now your design is just colors, make it more interesting make some signature backgrounds or watermarks with some logos/graphics that would be nice.. more graphics :)

I'm not talking about Dial-Up times, I'm talking about the amount of your server bandwidth that you'll use up.

Sorry I guess I want off track. Bandwidth is not a problem for me. I'm willing to pay for it. Since I expect a great deal of mysql usage, I'd probably have to upgrade hosting accounts anyway.

not very PHP customizable. but for the design ill tell you when I catch my jaw before it hits my keyboard! asdfadfgas! oh sorry it hit! Very good job and i see alot of prospect for your design 5 stars

LOL! Mad funny. Um, well php can easily be customizable. I'm not using tables for layout, and although I don't have the shortest code possible, I'll some how manage. *Some how...

yeah the red against black is kinda bad for me...

I prefer lighter based designs, yet then again dont make it too white cuz then i'll see spots

right now your design is just colors, make it more interesting make some signature backgrounds or watermarks with some logos/graphics that would be nice.. more graphics Smiley

Yes I agree with you. The red might be a bit hard on the eyes. I tried not over using it and tried toning it down a bit.  - Do you have any idea on getting around this. The theme is black, white, silver, and red. I don't like going off on a limb and add another color...

I'll def. add more graphics in the future. At this time there is a limit because most of images are "fillers" and aren't the real content. I think when the real thing comes out it'll def. improve!

The red might be a bit hard on the eyes. I tried not over using it and tried toning it down a bit.  - Do you have any idea on getting around this.

It might make the whole site darker and more dreary, but I think if you darken the red to something like #600000 it would have less contrast/glare and be more comfortable to the eyes. Just an idea...

The other thing that might help is if you anti-alias the font... but that may mean making all the text images, which would stink... I'm just thinking it would look nicer if the font edges were smoother.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.