Unable to connect to MySQL.

homebrewpc

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to php and MySQL and would really like to learn php and have made a start on reading through PHP 5 in Easy Steps and, unfortunately have come across a stumbling block already Sad.

I've installed Apache, php and MySQL via an XAMPP download as opposed to downloading the individual components seperately (not sure if this is good or bad).

phpinfo.php works alright however mysqltest.php does not and produces the following error message:-

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\xampp\in_easy_steps\mysqltest.php on line 7
sorry unable to connect to MySQL

As i'd installed XAMPP several months ago and forgotten the MySQL password that was set-up i've tried to reset the password however without avail.

[a href=\"http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/res...ermissions.html[/a]

Any suggestions on how to get MySQL up and running again would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Kind Regards.

I believe you can edit mysql.ini or something and allow the root to access without password.

however, I'd suggest you reinstall the software. Maybe take a look at WAMP server too. Seems to cut it for me.

[edit]
delete should be edit, changed it, sorry

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.