Development Environment for PHP websites

modest

Hello,

I have a domain name registered with my domain provider which is essentially on a Linux server supporting PHP and mySQL database. I want to put up a simple plain website (only HTML/PHP pages but no database stuff) on it. Can anyone tell me a good tool to create websites in PHP just like we do with Visual Studio. I am a programmer/developer and I know PHP and other programming languages, but I need some good visual sophisticated editor to have a better structured website.

I am using Windows Vista/XP as my development machine. So something which can run on Windows/XP.

Thanks

I don't use a Visual tool anymore, other than a browser of course.  But I used to use Macromedia (Adobe) Dreamweaver, which can handle PHP I believe.

Regards

Huggie

Hmm ok thanks for your reply....I am looking for something which is available freely..I believe for Macromedia I will have to pay.... :(

You can easily find a free template with google.

You can try Macromeedia Dreamweaver, 30-Days Trail.

I already have a template but I need some sort of software to maintain and develop my website from the existing template.  Using plain text editor is too much hassle and prone to errors.

I am looking for something which I can use for a long time. How do most of the people develop websites in PHP? I mean what do they use?

A PHP Editor.

Most people can design a php based website with style without having to see how it looks every minute.

You start to learn how things look with different elements after you have done it a while.

Some php editors does have preview future.

I know for a fact though Template designers use Dreamweaver, but it costs(but nothing good in this world is free).

A PHP Editor.

Most people can design a php based website with style without having to see how it looks every minute.

You start to learn how things look with different elements after you have done it a while.

Some php editors does have preview future.

I know for a fact though Template designers use Dreamweaver, but it costs(but nothing good in this world is free).

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest some PHP editor?

Well, any serious developer who uses PHP as a tool rarely is the person who actually is developing the look and feel of said website (at least from my experience)

I can code just about anything in PHP but there's many, many more people who could make things look much better with a lot less effort.

My advice: stick to coding and have someone else deal with the beauty :)

http://eclipse.org => http://phpeclipse.net

eclipse is a wonderful IDE, and phpeclipse is a plugin to provide PHP support.

Here's what it looks like on 1024x768 (my laptop normally uses 1440x1050, but I took the screenshot for someone still running 1024)

http://nick.stinemates.org/eclipse.png

Well, any serious developer who uses PHP as a tool rarely is the person who actually is developing the look and feel of said website (at least from my experience)

I can code just about anything in PHP but there's many, many more people who could make things look much better with a lot less effort.

My advice: stick to coding and have someone else deal with the beauty :)

http://eclipse.org => http://phpeclipse.net

eclipse is a wonderful IDE, and phpeclipse is a plugin to provide PHP support.

Here's what it looks like on 1024x768 (my laptop normally uses 1440x1050, but I took the screenshot for someone still running 1024)

http://nick.stinemates.org/eclipse.png

Thanks for the reply. Actually in this case I am not doing any serious php stuff. There is no database..It is  basically an HTML site but later on I might decide to use some php database stuff.

Maguma open studio

*Free

*open source

*Great syntax highliting

*CVS, Built in class browser, ftp frowser

*intellisense for user and native functions

*debugging and so on.

Simply the best I have used and its free. I never found any php IDE with so many features yet free.

Maguma open studio

*Free

*open source

*Great syntax highliting

*CVS, Built in class browser, ftp frowser

*intellisense for user and native functions

*debugging and so on.

Simply the best I have used and its free. I never found any php IDE with so many features yet free.

Just when I thought I found the application that I was looking for (Maguma) - It did not worked in Windows Vista...As soon as I click on the exe after installing, it says the program has stopped working.

why on earth you want to use vista for development? ???

Even php doesn't work well on vista.

I guess I have no other option. And as I said before right now most of the stuff is HTML inside the PHP files. I might not use the database etc for next 1 year at least.

Any suggestions....

You use visual studio right?

Then you can use VS.php. It is like php ide module for php on visual studio. It has more cool features then maguma and you will also be familiar to how it works. I think it will work on vista also. But its not free. But you can give it a trial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.