Question on dowloading data without a browser

samba412

Hoping you can give guidance.

I am trying to figure out how to dowload a binary data file from the internet without using a web browser.

Typically I would call a web page and my PHP script would create a file and then serve a web page with a link on it. I would click on the link and the download pop up box would come up asking if I want to save the file or run it. I would then click save, select the folder to save it to and the file would download to that folder.

However, I am writing a program in C# using the .Net Framework and am wondering how I can send out the request for the binary file and have it download directly to my program. Is this sort of thing done with XML and if so do you know of any links that would be helpful or any key words I could run a search on. I'm not looking to be spoon-fed, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Hope you can help.

Kind Regards,
Eric

In case you hadn't noticed,

This is NOT a C# forum

This is NOT a .NET forum.

[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--][!--sizeo:5--][span style=\"font-size:18pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]This IS a PHP forum.[!--sizec--][/span][!--/sizec--][!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

Guest footballkid4
Agreed.

However, if you are referring to the structure of your PHP page that may feed that content, you will be looking at the header() functions, specifically header( "Content-type: ..." )

But, I HIGHLY doubt that's what you're looking for.

I suggest you check here: [a href=\"http://msdn.microsoft.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://msdn.microsoft.com[/a] because I'm sure they will have an answer to your question.

My apologies for offending anyone. I know this is a PHP sight and my question was not meant to be about C# but instead about how to have the PHP script NOT serve up web page but interact directly with any client program. I believe this is called a Web Application if I am not mistaking.

Eric

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I am writing a program in C# using the .Net Framework and am wondering how I can send out the request for the binary file and have it download directly to my program[/quote]
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]how to have the PHP script NOT serve up web page but interact directly with any client program[/quote]
Which question are you asking exactly?

The .NET framework has everything you need to get this done without php. As stated, your question would be best posted to a .NET board or something.

If for some reason you still think this is a php related issue, please explain what it is you are trying to do and why you are trying to do it this way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.