MSVPC running LINUX with LAMP? (What's the best linux for lamp)

d22552000

Do you think the above trouble is really worth it?  Besides CRONTABS what does linux have that is so good?

The way I see chmodding, its just an extra step in installing anything and is a big security whole.  As far ase what im running.  What is the best linux to run lamp!?

Please help me out !

Do you think the above trouble is really worth it?  Besides CRONTABS what does linux have that is so good?

The way I see chmodding, its just an extra step in installing anything and is a big security whole.  As far ase what im running.  What is the best linux to run lamp!?

Please help me out !

What on earth are you talking about? chmod is a security hole? Since when do you need chmod to install everything?

And just so you know, Windows has the equivalent of crontabs - it's called Scheduled Tasks. The advantages of Unix-based operating systems are far beyond having cron.

The way I see chmodding, its just an extra step in installing anything and is a big security whole.

Obviously you have no experience with Linux yet you are pretty quick to make assumptions.

Besides CRONTABS what does linux have that is so good?

It is a complete operating system, were not going to list all the features for you especially when there is more documentation available on the net for Linux then probably any other system. Seek and you will find, otherwise, forever wonder.

• 1 month later...

Fedora 7 with ISPConfig seems to handle the dozen or so domains I host VERY nicely.  Very easy to install and configure.  Fedora is VERY well supported when used as a LAMP server.  I switched from IIS 2 years ago.  I HATED linux... because I didn't understand it, and though is was HARDER than IIS.  Now that I understand it, I personally feel IIS is just RETARDED (I know, that's gonna get me flamed...)  IIS is very powerful... if you wanna do things the Microsoft way.  I like the way LAMP works.  It's VERY well thought out.  Most of all, it's expandable in a way that let's you change directions. You chart the course of your server, not microsoft.  M$ tells you how to do it, LAMP lets you decide how you want to do it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Post is a month old, but its pretty funny. My experience with IIS had me tying a noose to hang off my office lights, I am running a couple of shared linux servers using Fedora Core 6 with ISPConfig, and it works perfect. I have approximately 150 clients on each. Thank god for the stability linux brings. M$ sort of reminds me of that insane lady you always see in the movies petting her cats

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.