Apache v2 Help (newbie)

montikarlo

I\'m trying to install Apache Web Server on XP/2000 (two different computers). The error says:

\"C:Program FilesApache GroupApache2bin>apache

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)

is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80

no listening sockets available, shutting down

Unable to open logs\"

Like many others who have had the same errors, I\'ve tried switching the Listen to different numbers: 8000, 8080, etc. I\'ve gone to the DOS prompt and typed in NETSTAT -ANO (somebody told me to do that for XP specifically b/c it shows the IP and Port no. as well as PID). I\'m a newbie at this so I don\'t really know what I\'m looking for much less know what a PID is (apparently for PID, I\'m suppose to go to CTRL Panel->Admin->Services and shutdown the PID using Port 80 ?????)

Anyway, I have no clue on how to do that. Am I using IIS? and how do I go about shutting that down? Somebody also said that McAfee may affect how Apache is running so I should shut it down. I did and it still doesn\'t work.

On the other computer which has 2000 Pro on it, the first thing I installed was MySQL, then Apache. MySQL works fine, but I get the same error as I did with XP.

Can anyone provide newbie step by step instructions on how I should go about configuring Apache to work on XP or 2000?

Should I just change the 2000 Pro OS to Linux and use that computer/OS as a server (I\'ve never used linux before).

I\'m just trying to get my feet wet with servers and such. Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.