[SOLVED] CHMOD confusion

Full-Demon

Ey,

I use CHMOD because .htaccess doesn't work on my server. I want certain directories to be restricted. I want that only apache/php can read/write/execute. Nobody else, users should not be able to browse to/inside the directory.

What permissions should the directory have and what should the files/directories inside have?

Thanks in advance :)

FD

1. Firstly find out the current permissions on your directory (as can be seen below).

2. Find out what "group" users are part of. It can be seen in the example below, that the owner is steviewdr, and the group is "users".

steviewdr@skynet:~$ ls -la | grep public_html

drwx-----x  21 steviewdr users    4096 2007-08-17 18:24 public_html

Therefore we want to allow the owner (rwx), and the world/www (x).

This is chmod 701.

steviewdr@skynet:~$ chmod 701 public_html/

So:

the user will be allowed to: read,write,execute

the word will be allowed to: execute into the folder.

The files inside public_html do not necessairly need to be chmod 701. It can if you like, by going: chmod -R 701 public_html.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.