date increment by one day

hotliquer

Hi. I am trying to increment a date by one day, that is already set in a variable ($first_date) in this format 2005-04-02

This is the closest I have got so far:

$first_date = $_GET['first_date'];
$first_date = date("Y-m-d", strtotime("+1 day"));

But this to my dismay resets $first_date to today’s current date!

I’m sure this is an easy task for many of you guys. But for me; it’s driving me bonkers!

Thanks

Ben

you've got to check whether or not your variable is being set before you can use date/time functions on it... for instance, make sure that $_GET['first_date'] is actually being set and that it is NOT empty:
[code]
<?php
if (isset($_GET['first_date'])) {
  // variable is set
  // default to today's date if the URL variable is empty
  $first_date = !empty($_GET['first_date']) ? $_GET['first_date'] : date('Y-m-d');
  echo date('Y-m-d', strtotime("$first_date +1 day");
} else {
  // variable not set in the URL
}
?>
[/code]

By default, strtotime() assumes the starting date is today. The second parameter to the function specifies the starting date as UNIX time.

Here's one way of doing what you want:
[code]<?
$next_date = date("Y-m-d", strtotime("+1 day",strtotime($first_date)));
echo $next_date;
?>[/code]

Ken

Guys,

Thanks so much for your time. But I am still having the same problem.

obsidian the $_GET['first_date'] has the date in it, which is 2005-07-21.

Dan R. I will be looking into this one. I have never worked in the UNIX seconds jobby thing yet!

kenrbnsn this is working, but it takes 2005-07-21 and turns it into 2006-04-05.

Here exactly what I am doing. I have a simple form with two fields. I put in two dates i.e. $first_date 2005-07-21 and $second_date 2005-07-21. This accesses the production database with daily production stats for a bunch of glass blowers. It also pumps out what their bonus will be for that day.

So to make it easier for my boss to work out our piece work I want a link on the page, that just increments the date, from the last page, by one day.

So say I am looking at prod stats for 2005-07-21 I want to see this:
[a href=\"http://www.blah.com/employee_prod_stats.php?first_date=2005-07-22&second_date=2005-07-22\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.blah.com/employee_prod_stats.ph...date=2005-07-22[/a]

But the closest I can get to it is:
[a href=\"http://www.blah.com/employee_prod_stats.php?first_date=2006-04-05&second_date=2006-04-05\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.blah.com/employee_prod_stats.ph...date=2006-04-05[/a]

I really hope that makes more sense!??

Thanks a huge bunch for your help so far guys

[!--quoteo(post=361726:date=Apr 4 2006, 03:41 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Apr 4 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]361726[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
To the OP, can you post the code you are currently are debugging?

Ken
[/quote]

Here is the part of code i am debugging.

[code]
$first_date = $_GET['second_date'];
$increment = date("Y-m-d", strtotime("+1 day",strtotime($first_date)));

?><h4><a href="employee_prod_stats_test.php?first_date=<?php echo $increment; ?>&second_date=<?php echo $increment; ?>">Stats for next day</a></h4><?
[/code]

I cannot post the whole script!? it not to big as i checked. just keep getting error page?

[!--quoteo(post=361728:date=Apr 4 2006, 03:56 PM:name=DrDre)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DrDre @ Apr 4 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]361728[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[code]$first_date = $_GET['first_date'];
$next_date = date("Y-m-d", strtotime($first_date)+(60*60*24));
echo $next_date;
[/code]

Is what your looking for.
You was calling strtotime an extra time.
[/quote]

This gives me the same problem. it turns 2005-07-21 into 2006-04-05 (tomorrow) when i want it to increment to 2005-07-22.

basically i want to increment, by one day, $first_date.

$first_date will never be today or tomorrow. it will always in the past.

thanks for your halp!

Ben

Ok i never used strtotime, it must be as above said and uses current time.

[code]
$first_date = split('-',$first_date);
$time=mktime(0,0,0,$first_date[1],$first_date[2],$first_date[0]);
$next_date = date("Y-m-d", $time+(60*60*24));
echo $next_date;
[/code]

Splitting the _GET request by - into an array of Array(Year,Month,Day)
And call mktime(hr,min,sec,month,day,year) to find the unix timestamp and then add the 1 day of seconds to it and then back to a Y-m-d format.

This code gives the correct answer:
[code]<?php
$second_date = $_GET['second_date'];
?>[/code]
I believe your problem occured because you're overlaying the variable $first_date with the value of $_GET['second_date'] in your second line.

To: DrDre, the strtotime() function will take a string and try to convert it into a unix time stamp, so you could pass it something like "July 21, 2006" and it will do the "right thing"

Take a look at the [a href=\"http://www.php.net/strtotime\" target=\"_blank\"]manual page[/a] for it.

Ken

[!--quoteo(post=361755:date=Apr 4 2006, 05:10 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Apr 4 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]361755[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
This code gives the correct answer:
[code]<?php
$second_date = $_GET['second_date'];
?>[/code]
I believe your problem occured because you're overlaying the variable $first_date with the value of $_GET['second_date'] in your second line.

To: DrDre, the strtotime() function will take a string and try to convert it into a unix time stamp, so you could pass it something like "July 21, 2006" and it will do the "right thing"

Take a look at the [a href=\"http://www.php.net/strtotime\" target=\"_blank\"]manual page[/a] for it.

Ken
[/quote]

unfortuatly i am still having the same problem. i must have other issues with the code. the dates i am looking for keep jumping to 2006-04-05. i am guessing that my code is messy or something like that??
but i know when i print $first_date it is 2005-07-21 or any other date i chose, that is in the past.

thanks for the help guys. i dont know what else to try??

Did you try mine?

echo $next_date;[/code]

Theres absolutely no reason that should not work...

[!--quoteo(post=361760:date=Apr 4 2006, 05:35 PM:name=DrDre)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DrDre @ Apr 4 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]361760[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Did you try mine?

echo $next_date;[/code]
Theres absolutely no reason that should not work...
[/quote]
yes i did try your one. and unfortunatly it turned my date into 1970-01-02

i think my code is pretty screwed. it must be the other code in the script. i am currently trying to build a stock, sales and production database for work. its in early stages so far. i would like to show some one it so they could see what the production thing is doing wrong.

i have copied it here to a folder with out pass word protection:
[code]http://www.bristol-glass.co.uk/production/employee_prod_stats_test.php[/code]

its currently coded to your code, DrDre

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.