easy ip address question to answer

ear

how do i find what my ip address is for people to access my website from outside of my home network. someone told me to do a command prompt with \'netstat -an\' but the ip address that show up there when typed into IE is google.com. should i run apache and then load http://localhost and try to find the IP address? sometimes with \'netstat -an\' i get a *:* for the foreign address, does this mean i cant view it for privacy/security/encryption reasons or something?

Well the problem with doing that... is if you\'re using localhost... I think the remote address will come up and say 127.0.0.1 which isn\'t what you want.

On windows:

open a command window and type ipconfig and then depending on how your network is setup you\'ll get something like this:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.255.4

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.255.1

In my case since I\'m using a LAN I have a private ip address.

On Unix(BSD/Linux):

use the command: ifconfig

you\'ll get something like this:

$ ifconfig

dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 192.168.255.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.255.255

inet6 fe80::204:5aff:fe5f:e0cc%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

ether 00:04:5a:5f:e0:cc

media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

you\'re looking for the part that says inet 192.168.255.5

If you need any help, feel free to ask

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Go here. This will give you your External IP or WAN IP if you prefer.

If you cannot see your webpage make sure that your webserver is not only listening on the localhost (127.0.0.1).

Then if you are using a router/firewall you need to set fowarding rules/ firewall rules to let the request reach the computer.

If all this fail, you should contact your Internet Service Provider and ask them if they block port 80. If so change the port inside you webserver configuration.

To make it easier for everyone to reach your webserver you should create a dynamic dns from one of the several possible solution like dyndns, noip, etc...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.