Personal Site Needs Critique

techiefreak05

* I don't think the main background image should have corners since it is rounded on the inside.

* The "welcome" and "bio" images are a little obtrusive.

* You might want to add some kind of text to the idle menu buttons, I didn't even notice they were navigation until I moused over.

* The background gradient doesn't match the background color in the end, or there is a line at the bottom of the gradient.

* The copywrite image color doesn't match the background and it has a different color behind it depending on where it is vertically on the page. I would suggest having that info inside the main content box.

* The font might be a little big.

Gradient background are hard to match color with the main content. You might want to try to fade it into the center so that you can always have a static color to match, there. Otherwise, good work, looks pretty cool.

"* I don't think the main background image should have corners since it is rounded on the inside."

- what does that mean?

"* The "welcome" and "bio" images are a little obtrusive."

- Yeah, I just needed them, but I will changer them to something a little less.

"* You might want to add some kind of text to the idle menu buttons, I didn't even notice they were navigation until I moused over."

- I completely agree, I am having the hardest time getting it right....

"* The background gradient doesn't match the background color in the end, or there is a line at the bottom of the gradient."

- Yeah I did notice that ... I dont know why.. being that the background color, and the end gradient color are the same (#cbcbcb)

"* The copywrite image color doesn't match the background and it has a different color behind it depending on where it is vertically on the page. I would suggest having that info inside the main content box."

- Yeah it has different color behind it.. it's transparent.. and the background is a gradient.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be changing things over the weekend.

I dont think the main content border should be gradient, give it a full color, and same with the background -- or if you can't help it with the background, at least have it fade much much less..

maybe a larger content area, and a links menu on the left, and the banner going across the entire top as well.

put your php skills to use (as mentioned in your bio?), if you add a link, you could easily make the links be something like ?act=bio, that way you can just change the content, without actually switching pages technically. easily done with this in the content part of the index:

if (!$_GET) {
include ('main.php');
} else {
include ($_GET['act'].'.php'); 
}

Thats my idea. main.php would be the homepage content, and $_GET['act'].'.php' just means that when you go to http://mystickyposts.com/brenden/?act=bio it would go to bio.php, or http://mystickyposts.com/brenden/?act=other it would obviously go to other.php

also theres no point of "welcome." and "bio" to be images..

Overall it looks very professional. I like it and the color choices are very good. There are a few errors in your php coding. I"m sure you'll fix that in the near future.

Doctype:  HTML 4.01 Transitional

Now this isn't a problem but you should strive for xhtml transitional or xhtml strict. XHTML is the future.

The concept of the site I just don't get. I don't want to offend you but an online bulletin board!? Come on! Create a bulletin board that people can comment each other and the posts are categorized in an easy way to find it!

Hey! I bullentin board can be made forumish...  :P

"Create a bulletin board that people can comment each other and the posts are categorized in an easy way to find it!"

Thats exactly what it is essentially. I just haven't had time to add the things I want to, with school starting soon, and other things, development has slowed down.

:: also, I was thinking about making it an open-source script, any thoughts on this?

no thank you. I think personal websites are a waste of time. Its great you like to show of your skills.

Like seriously, who likes to visit your website? Who would waste their time looking over it? As a matter of fact I'm 16 years old (yes, I'm a bit younger) only 1 year of html/php experience. And less than a month of pure css. And my site is beastit.com/index2

And although I think my website is awesome I don't show it off. I don't show off my experience.

Now, don't get all mad at me, you asked critique and I gave you my first expression. Trust me, ppl hate when you show and prove to them that you may be better than they are...  :-\

I like your header, but the center is too narrow and can use some spicing up. - my 2 cents.

no thank you. I think personal websites are a waste of time. Its great you like to show of your skills.

Like seriously, who likes to visit your website? Who would waste their time looking over it? As a matter of fact I'm 16 years old (yes, I'm a bit younger) only 1 year of html/php experience. And less than a month of pure css. And my site is beastit.com/index2

And although I think my website is awesome I don't show it off. I don't show off my experience.

Now, don't get all mad at me, you asked critique and I gave you my first expression. Trust me, ppl hate when you show and prove to them that you may be better than they are...  :-\

I like your header, but the center is too narrow and can use some spicing up. - my 2 cents.

lol you just showed off your website and your skills! and you got your website in a critique forum as well! lol reading that post just made my day!  ;D

"* I don't think the main background image should have corners since it is rounded on the inside."

- what does that mean?

The image I was talking about had rounded corners, however, the actual corner color (behind the rounded part) didn't match the background so you could see pointed corners along with the rounded corners.

That new site you posted is hard make anything out of because it has no content and is about two inches tall. The first link and the last one (x) don't work.

lol you just showed off your website and your skills! and you got your website in a critique forum as well! lol reading that post just made my day!  ;D

I just wanted to make you feel the way I felt when I saw  :P

The contrast between the menu buttons (and the logo) and the background is too abrupt. Same with the titlebar and the main content. I think the copywrite info looks akward with its own little box sticking out like that. I do like the text subtitles for "welcome" and bio" better than the previous ones. I also think the font could be a little smaller, or maybe different.

The site needs better "flow." I think there are too many abrubpt edges. I like the designs for your other sites (on the sites page), you should use some aspects from those ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the header is very elegant in keeping with the feel of the site. With the present color of the page I would be afraid that a splash of color there would keep dragging the eyes upward. The only thing I would consider changing would be perhaps a small sample thumbnail or two mixed into the main content area of the front page to give it a little more life, earlier when I was at then I too customize the design of one of the web design company client in that way but I'd have to see it that way to be sure. Your’s is actually really good as is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.