stats - spiders

dal_oscar

I am storing all the IP addresses and their useragents of all visitors on my website in a mysql table, and I want to filter out the spiders and cralwers when I am displaying the totals for webstats.

Its a really long list - 557 user agents. I get about 6000 hits a day, and its impossible to query a seperate useragent table or perfom a simple search text (i have tried both) for each hit, especially since I need to display hits each day for 4 weeks.

Any suggestions?

[!--quoteo(post=362205:date=Apr 6 2006, 08:24 AM:name=Desdinova)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Desdinova @ Apr 6 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]362205[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
how can you tell which one is a spider and which is not?

if that's easy, why not write the spiders to another stats-tabel?
[/quote]

that's the problem - checking which is a spider.

i have a list of useragents, and when I get a new hit, I am currently just dumping it in a different table. During stats display, i retrieve each hit and compare that useragent to the spider useragent's list.

now, i can do this comparison during the initial dumping of the hit record but dont want to slow it down for the visitor.

what i am really looking for, is an optimum way to check if a hit is by a spider - a text search or a mysql query are very slow -

suggestions?

maybe you could speed up the query by putting the spiders in categories.

say you create a table Spiders.
In this table you create columns ID, A, B, C, D through Z

every spider gets written down in the col which maches the spiders useragents first char.

so basically, you don't have your query searching all fields when checking for a spider, but only checking the col which matches the first char.

Think this should at least decrease load and thus waiting time.

but if it's a good solution, I don't know really.

[!--quoteo(post=362215:date=Apr 6 2006, 08:55 AM:name=Desdinova)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Desdinova @ Apr 6 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]362215[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
maybe you could speed up the query by putting the spiders in categories.

say you create a table Spiders.
In this table you create columns ID, A, B, C, D through Z

every spider gets written down in the col which maches the spiders useragents first char.

so basically, you don't have your query searching all fields when checking for a spider, but only checking the col which matches the first char.

Think this should at least decrease load and thus waiting time.
but if it's a good solution, I don't know really.
[/quote]

Hmm....that sounds better. I'll implement this immediately.

But I'll be happy to hear of other methods if someone knows any.

Thanks Desdinova

[!--quoteo(post=362216:date=Apr 6 2006, 08:59 AM:name=dal_oscar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dal_oscar @ Apr 6 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]362216[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hmm....that sounds better. I'll implement this immediately.

But I'll be happy to hear of other methods if someone knows any.

Thanks Desdinova
[/quote]

Hi,
I have done that, but it still takes ages to load!!!
Any other ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.