Has anyone else gone through the "coding perfectalization" stage

emehrkay

I couldn't think of a word/pharse for it, but I feel like I am stuck in this phase where my code needs to "perfect" or as stream-lined as possible and it is getting in the way of me just banging the shit out.

I would say it is more of a problem with JavaScript than with PHP, but it is happening whenever I crack open my editor and try to crank out some code.

Right now I am the only developer working on this project, but I am trying hard to make it easy for someone else to dig in and understand what is going on.

Is this a real phase for programmer or am I making it up? How do I move past it? I kinda feel like I never will...

Well first of all it's good that you want to make things perfect. I run into this issue a lot too. Here is something that could help you out...Try and keep focused on the topic on hand...meaning make it work as best you can for that specific application, just so it works like you want it and how you need it to work. Once you are totally done with that application or script re-visit it later and fix it up when you aren't "on the clock".

What I usually do is if I'm working through a script and think of something that could make it better but it's something I don't need currently, I just write myself a note so that I can re-visit it later.

Hope that helps!

Great stuff cmgmyr, I've actually came to that conclusion a few times before. I basically said that I will hand it off to someone more competent than myself or just someone who would see it with a different mindset.

I am going to take that mentality more often.

Thanks for the input

I couldn't think of a word/pharse for it, but I feel like I am stuck in this phase where my code needs to "perfect" or as stream-lined as possible and it is getting in the way of me just banging the shit out.

I would say it is more of a problem with JavaScript than with PHP, but it is happening whenever I crack open my editor and try to crank out some code.

Right now I am the only developer working on this project, but I am trying hard to make it easy for someone else to dig in and understand what is going on.

Is this a real phase for programmer or am I making it up? How do I move past it? I kinda feel like I never will...

Same here. It's called being a perfectionist. There's not really anything wrong with it unless it is stressing you out/screwing up your work.

Hehe this 'syndrome' does sound familiar. I think as well as making it perfect, it can boil down to trying to stretch yourself so as to not get bored doing the same old stuff as before.

Here's a good read from quite a while back, pretty much explaining many of the little mental blocks and issues we put up with:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,115416.0.html

great thread redbull, thanks.

roopurt18, that's exactly where I am at. I have so much to do, but since it is really just me, I do not have that other person to bounce ideas off of.

Here is an example of where I am at - it took me all day yesterday, and today after work, to figure out how I wanted to approach a simple 3 field form with 4 action buttons. Well, its not that simple, I am tring to make it standard so that other forms that will be able to use the same JS, xhttprequests, fieldhandlers, etc, but almost 12 hours of work!

I am feeling good about the code that is being cranked out though, I just have a deadline and I am in this phase or have this syndrome that may interfere with that

I'll be up for a few more hours

you do need to be very careful. just like music, art and other 'creative' areas, if you don't keep going or try and overcomplicate stuff, you'll end up with "writers block" - where even the simple stuff is hard.

i'd probably suggest moving on to something else, even unrelated to anything you have, and just do it. i like to take at least an hour out of my day to "play" with things - ie, writing silly little things to make a picture into a polaroid, etc.

I've made a few classes that I can just pop into sites:

- MySQL

- Misc functions (is user logged on, clean POST for DB, stuff like that)

- Error reporting

- Debug

These really help alot when starting out with a new project

By any chance can you post the class you created for "is user logged on?" I created something similar. NOt a class though. It should work, but for some reason half of the time it gets messed up and doesn't work! I was wondering how a real professional does it.

Anywaz, when working on a project you have to learn to become a tough guy. Like when something isn't perfect looking, turn on "design view" and be like "F with the code!" You see, I am in the process of creating some tedious and large projects. When I'm too perfect, it wastes time and I don't have enough time to whip out my XBOX and play it. I'm just sitting in front of the computer screen with the same darn script.

C'mon everyone wants to be tough!

i see your problem with wanting to be a perfectionist. i think thats only because you want your work to be the best as you can get it. heres how to fix the problem. work on prioritizing what is on your to-do list. re-arrange your to-do list with the most important things at the top.work your way down it.after making each thing,do a security check.when ur close to ur deadline,stop adding things and bug test and do security fixes.if your able to, add in the small details later(such as a new template for the website,better version of your poll system,more user features,etc).stick to the basics at first.its best to have a basic system at first because any last minute decisions to make big changes would possibly be easier. also i like the idea of saving classes to your computer,but each time you put one on your site,you may want to check your class carefully and edit it for your site depending on how complex the class.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.