Auto Download

SJames

I'm not sure whether I would use PHP for this or not, but what I am trying to do is automatically download a file when a window opens.

I have a page with a link on it. When the link is clicked, a window pops up with a link to a file in it. I would like to be able to have that file start downloading as soon as the window opens. I'm not sure if this would be PHP or Javascript- any help would be nice, I can't seem to find this anywhere.

I don't think that's what I'm looking for- I looked that up and tried it and it's more of a redirect. I'm talking about something more like the download sites where they bring you to a page and then you get the little "Website is trying to download file to your computer" thing. How to to try to download that file to your computer?

I think you can us this code

header("location:download.zip");

make sure this code should be at the top of page and no echo or print before this

sorry you replied while i was typing.

I think you can do it by making a download page that print the downloading message and open the download fie in new window.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.