New Client

ldsmike88

I am meeting with a new client soon and I was wondering what I should ask. So far I have just been winging it. I think it is time to get a little more professional and speed up development time. I have all my prices set so I don't think I have to worry about that. What do I need to ask my new client to get all the details of the new site so I know what to make? I know I should ask "What is the purpose of the site" and "What do you want the domain name to be," but what else? Is there a list that you use to go by with a new client? Thanks!

Mike

The most blunt question is.. "What would you like to see on the page"...
so you can rule out what will be script and what you really have to worry about...what's being displayed

If they can't answer then ask What they're offering on the site....that's so special they need a site.
It's pretty much winging it anyway you go
but sometimes the dumbest questions in your perspective turn out to give the best answers....

I always bring a paper and pencil with me to map out where certain things could go.....in front of them
Good Luck

PS...this isn't a PHP question, I'm moving it to the Misc forum
please watch where you post

I ask if they understand what domain names & website hosting is. A lot that I've encountered do not know that a web host is NOT the same as an ISP. So it's good to let them know how it works. Some education for them will only help you & will field questions later.

How much traffic they expect? How much space do they need? Will they be saving files on their web space (how much)?

Do they need a membership system? Different user levels?

Do they want a CMS, where they can modify content? You may charge a little extra for this. I add this to a a site as an extra charge. I'll explain that it'll be cheaper for them in the long run, since they can do it themselves instead of me charging per hour to make mods.

How is their target audience? Age range? Suggest a more business like design for the older crowd. Maybe a more "hip" design for the younger crowd.

Ask if they've seen another site that they'd like theirs to resemble (not clone). Ask for a URL.

Just some ideas.

Very nice. I got a good article on it from [a href=\"http://www.sitepoint.com/\" target=\"_blank\"]sitepoint.com[/a] but those questions wern't listed in their article. Thanks, I'll add those to my list. Thanks!

[a href=\"http://www.sitepoint.com/article/site-planner/2\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.sitepoint.com/article/site-planner/2[/a]

Mike

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.