instant messanging

cfemocha

I don't think php is necessarily what you want to be using... You need something client side that checks for new messages. Java would probably be better suited for it I would imagine.

I suppose that you could have a framed html document and the "chat window" refreshed every 10 seconds or so by sending a query to a database. But I could see that being a real pain in the ass. Not to mention all those unnessecary queries to the database.

Thank you so much for your reply. Im not very familiar with Java and the constant queries to the database can really seemed to be a problem...

I see some forums that shows online/offline status for their msn/yahoo accounts. Im thinking of using MSN messenger as an alternative. does anyone know how i can show the status?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.