remote access to mysql

dsrichard

Hi -

I\'m trying to access a mysql database currently hosted on a vds website host (jumpline). I can access the db with PhpMyAdmin or by using ssh to log in to the box directly. However, I\'m trying to simplify synchronizing this remote db with a local db and would prefer to access this db using mysqlCC or ODBC.

Tech support for my host indicated that they have disallowed remote access to the db. How have they most likely done this? Is there any work-around for this? Can I change config files, etc.

thanks -

David

in your connection information to your database, is the server localhost or another server name?

In most cases that I have seen where the server is localhost, you can connect remotely, in the other, ive found thru experieince that there is usually a firewall between the webserver and the database server which will only allow traffic thru from the webserver and not from external connections.

Having said that, one site I mange has an option to allow remote access which is user configurable, so Im not sure how that is managed, its just possible.

Mysql stores this type of information in the mysql user table, which is in the mysql data dictionary. Typically, a user will be created like so:

someuser@localhost.

This will indicate to mysql that the user can only connect from localhost. If the host has indicated that you can\'t make a remote connection, then they have probably setup your database user in this fashion, and mysql will not allow you to connect to it from any network address other than localhost.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.