[SOLVED] Formatting Hyperlinks

hotdog

Hi,

I am trying to customise a WordPress template (Blocked-10 by The Undersigned - http://themes.wordpress.net/download.php?theme=393.)

By default the template has a green background for any blog entries made. I changed the background to white. The problem I now have is that the post information, ie. author, date/time, etc is no longer visible because this text is also in white by default. I am now trying to change the post info to the colour of my choice which is proving quite a challenge for a php novice.

By "post info" I mean the line of code Filed by <?php the_author(); ?> at <?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?> under <?php the_category(', ') ?> | <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php comments_number('No comments', '1 comment'...

The code to show the post info is located in the file "category.php" and is as follows:

<div class="post">
      <h2>
            <?php the_date(); ?>
      </h2>
      <h3>
            <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
      </h3>
      <div class="thecontent">
            <?php the_content(''); ?>
      </div>
      <div class="postinfo">
            Filed by <?php the_author(); ?> at <?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?> under <?php the_category(', ') ?> | <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php comments_number('No comments', '1 comment', '% comments'); ?></a>
      </div>
</div>

In the stylesheet "style.css" the class "post" and "postinfo" are as follows:

.post {
margin:40px 30px 0 40px;
}

.post .postinfo {
position:relative;
font-style:italic;
font-size:10px;
}

I have found that <?php the_category(', ') ?> and <?php comments_number('No comments', '1 comment', '% comments'); ?> in the category.php file are affected by the following code in the stylesheet:

a:link, a:visited {
color:#FFFFFF;
}

But there are many more hyperlinks in my blog such as the menu items, so I don't want to change every hyperlinks colour only that of the post info.

So how do I force the colour for the post info in the category.php file?

Should I do it through the stylesheet and if so what would the code be in category.php, or should I place code directly into the category.php file and if so what would this code be?

Thanks in advance

I have tried the following in my stylesheet:

a.nav:link {color: #31383b; text-decoration: none; }
a.nav:visited {color: #31383b; text-decoration: none; }
a.nav:hover {color: #31383b; text-decoration: underline; }
a.nav:active {color: #31383b; } 

and the following in the category.php file:

Filed by <?php the_author(); ?> at <?php the_time('F jS, Y') ?> under <?php the_category(', ') ?> | <a class="nav" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php comments_number('No comments', '1 comment', '% comments'); ?></a>

but this has had no effect on the colour of the link.

Thanks, I've done as you suggested and placed the following into my stylesheet:

.postinfo a:link{
color:#31383B;
} 

The post info is now coloured correctly for the <?php the_category(', ') ?> parameter but has not changed for the second part which is the <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php comments_number('No comments', '1 comment', '% comments'); ?> and this is the part inside the hyperlink so I'm not sure how that works?!

Can I use the div tag to apply the .postinfo a:link to this entire post info section?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.