Free Text Messaging Web Site!

techiefreak05

The logo is kinda cool, but other then that, the site is fairly ugly. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the whole "Brushed steel" look you have for the main content. I won't get into the debate over AJAX for a site like this is hugely appropriate, but I digress-the point is, I'm pretty sure there's already a ton of other sites like this, and aside from using snazzy technology, there's no real need for something like this, especially given the sheer prevalence of cell phones.

I think its very cool.

the font is kinda huge but I like that you can change the theme.

as far as the ajax debate - i saw its great! its the future of internet and web enabled computing in general. that said, you should make the form work without it because lots of folks don't have javascript running or they may have a stripped down version of JS that doesn't allow for ajax - especially if their using a PDA or other mini-browser (which I'm guessing for a site like this is very probable) 

There might be other sites that do this, but the application is still very valuable.  Other uses might be to link it to an existing contact form or ecommerce web applications...so when a person submits a form, the site could generate a text message to the recipients cell phone so they know to check the message.

Thank You!

I personally think it's neat.

I do plan on makinhg a non-JS version of the site, as well as an exclusive iPhone version!

It'll be pretty neat, also I'm working with a couple site deleopers who want to use my site's backend to send mass messages to users cellphones, they are people i know personally, so if that sounds like they plan to spam, no they dont, haha.

nice.

yeah, i just got a spam text the other day. kinda ticks me off when that happens because it costs me 15 cents.  so spam text are a BIG no-no.

but I like the basic idea still and I just added a quick mail() script to the contact form on my person website that texts me when someone submits the form.  Wow I'm a dork!

Thanks for the good idea.

I don't like it. The font is WAY too big. The colors aren't that interesting. And why the hell would I ever use your text messaging? Don't I have a cellaphone for that?

I guess you missed the point it is formatted for display compatibility on a cellphone and it is free.

I have to compliment the site, while I'm not really thinking of the design as outstanding, it is pretty cool and modern.

I don't like it. The font is WAY too big. The colors aren't that interesting. And why the hell would I ever use your text messaging? Don't I have a cellaphone for that?

I guess you missed the point it is formatted for display compatibility on a cellphone and it is free.

I have to compliment the site, while I'm not really thinking of the design as outstanding, it is pretty cool and modern.

I think YOU missed the point. I said, "Don't I have a cellaphone for that?"

Because I do. I ain't wasn't time on your service.

"Formatted for display compatibility on a cellphone?"

Are you unsmart? (stupid?)

Why would I use a cellaphone to go on its online web browser and waste time to log on and send a text message, when I can do it from the cellaphone feature? - ON A MORE FRIENDLY TEXT MESSAGING SOFTWARE MADE FOR IT? DON'T ALMOST ALL PLANS HAVE 500 FREE TEXTS?

But, axiss you do have a good point. The big font would be good for small browsers, but I think that form is more appropriate for ppl w/out cellaphones not for cellaphones! LOL

Why would I use a cellaphone to go on its online web browser and waste time to log on and send a text message, when I can do it from the cellaphone feature? - ON A MORE FRIENDLY TEXT MESSAGING SOFTWARE MADE FOR IT? DON'T ALMOST ALL PLANS HAVE 500 FREE TEXTS?

i can think of a lot of reasons why this is better then sending from a phone.

1) relative anonymity

2) no outgoing text fee (and no, my cingular/AT&T plan does NOT come with free Texts)

3) integration into other applications (as previously noted above)

4) ease of use.  its a LOT easier to type on a regular keyboard over the internet then it is to get out your cellphone with its 10 little button and try to type out a message...especially if you're at work!

there are more reasons then that, but certainly four should be enough to make you feel like an ass.

there are more reasons then that, but certainly four should be enough to make you feel like an ass.

I am very sorry if I annoyed you or if I spoke straight out truth. Because its true, no one will find that form useful. I wouldn't. I email on computer instead of texting lol. And when I have a cellphone I text. LOL

Anyway, the only time I think the form would be useful if it was combined by a site that is already popular and would have the right demographics. It will be hard getting ppl to use that. It just isn't easy to get the word out, and its not a stand alone idea. You can't create a thriving business with a "form." - unless its supplement.

Argue as much as your heart desires. I know enough buisness to know that ain't going to work.

Remember, I'm the creator of the site, and I plainly said above, I DID NOT PLAN on going anywhere with it, JUST AS a learning tool for me to increase my javascript/ajax knowledge. I have no intentions of trying to market it, its just there. I did not ask to be critiqued on the usefulness, i asked for critique on the design.

Thank You.

I do plan on expanding it but, again, just to see what I, alone, can do.

I am very sorry if I annoyed you or if I spoke straight out truth. Because its true, no one will find that form useful. I wouldn't. I email on computer instead of texting lol. And when I have a cellphone I text. LOL

Anyway, the only time I think the form would be useful if it was combined by a site that is already popular and would have the right demographics. It will be hard getting ppl to use that. It just isn't easy to get the word out, and its not a stand alone idea. You can't create a thriving business with a "form." - unless its supplement.

Argue as much as your heart desires. I know enough buisness to know that ain't going to work.

Firstly, I would just like to say to the topic starter that the form has a bit of trouble displaying on my cell phone. Probably from the AJAX, but I could be wrong. Also, could you add Alltel to the list?  Here is the messaging server: 10DigitPhoneNumber@message.alltel.com  Unless you are using your own SMS server, which then I give you props.

Secondly, take my sister for example. She can browse the internet on her phone and it is like making a phone call. So on unlimited nights and weekends it is free. However, it costs her to text message. So this service is great for her, because she can navigate her phone browser to it.

Third, true you can use your cellphone, but I'm sure you have a text plan.  Some people DON'T have a text plan.

Fourth, he isn't trying to start a thriving business that I can see. He simply got bored and created a web form to send free text messages from.  Personally, I think this form would be great for internet use. I can send my friends a text from my computer.  Saves me a text and I know that they will get the answer.

Last, is your last little sentence. You obviously don't know enough business to know this isn't going to work. If he uses the right SEO tools (i'm sure he will use google instead of asking in the misc board), does some free link exchange, and just sticks with it it might become pretty popular. 

On a side note to the topic-starter:  You might want to add an optional return number.  Just a place that people who send from their computer can enter in their cell number so friends can reply and it go to their phone. Just a thought.

Well, as of right now I have some plans for the suture.

I plan on adding an optional member registration system, which then would allow for extra features such as an address book, instead of typing in a number, just select a name. Also it would allow for replying and would send from your own specified number.

I MIGHT add another replying option, that when  they reply it would go into your "inbox" on the actual site and youd be able to read the message, like an email, but I have no idea how to setup a mail server to handle that, so maybe, maybe not.

Mr. Ass God up there has some very strong feelings against the creator of this thread doesn't he? If you want to reply, read the entire thread before rplying. Simple as that. You need to take a break dude, stop shitting in other people's hair.

This service is cool cause not everyone wastes money on a texting service (with 10% vision the cell phone keyboard is a no-no). Big font, woooohooooo!!! You should add a simple +/- size thigny though just incase... you could also detect if people are on a phone using PHP and I think its some stupid header.

This site COULD go places IF the topic starter wanted it to )but he CLEARLY stated he didn't.)

Screw you mr.assgod.

It would actually be an SMS server on the site.  Of course you could always set up a mail server, stick a perl script in your mail handler, and when people reply to the text message it send it to an email.  But, naturally, some phones won't send to an email address.  Your best bet is probably an SMS server.

Mr. Ass God up there has some very strong feelings against the creator of this thread doesn't he?  If you want to reply, read the entire thread before rplying.  Simple as that.  You need to take a break dude, stop shitting in other people's hair.

This service is cool cause not everyone wastes money on a texting service (with 10% vision the cell phone keyboard is a no-no).  Big font, woooohooooo!!!  You should add a simple +/- size thigny though just incase... you could also detect if people are on a phone using PHP and I think its some stupid header.

This site COULD go places IF the topic starter wanted it to )but he CLEARLY stated he didn't.)

Screw you mr.assgod.

I think that is completely inappropriate. I don't understand why people like you aren't banned. Sure I might have controversial views and I might have a whole different point than you, but I still respect your opinion. And, yes I was incorrect. This could become something big, but it won't be easy. I sorta trailed off, and said something else. Also, I didn't take into account that some plans don't have text messaging, but most now-a-days DO.

Another thing, I DO NOT want you to refer to me as mr. god up there. (although you were talking bot me), it is wrong to think I'm some god. My screenname or whatever doesn't mean I'm god. I ain't, and I don't want you to think or call me as one. I'm christian and I take offense if you consider me god. Its against my religious ideas.

Control your anger.

Another thing, I DO NOT want you to refer to me as mr. god up there. (although you were talking bot me), it is wrong to think I'm some god. My screenname or whatever doesn't mean I'm god. I ain't, and I don't want you to think or call me as one. I'm christian and I take offense if you consider me god. Its against my religious ideas.

Control your anger.

not calling you a god, just forgot your username and the browser wouldnt scroll down... -_-.  In any case you were film something and god something in your name so w/e.  I am pointing out that you *even fater he stated he didnt want it to* felt as if you needed to state again "No, this is not going to go anywhere".  Read his posts.

I just tried giving it a whizz to my mobile (or is it cell?) which is a UK number and it hasn't arrived. That must mean it works only for US numbers, right? You might wanna stick somewhere on the page "US numbers only" to avoid confusion and upsets when people never get a reply text.

With that outta the way, I, personally think it's a good idea. Say a person runs outta credit and doesn't have a text deal. What're they gonna do about it? Go to "mytxtsite.com" of course.

I dunno if it's my computer but each time I tried changing the theme all that happened was that back bit diappeared. Glitch or bad laptop?

Other than that it's a pretty good idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.