resetting $_POST variables

nothix

I have my page setup with selects populated from a mySQL db to allow the user to select an instructor, course, day, time, room, and max students. Once all have been selected, 2 submit buttons load, 1 allowing the user to submit the data to the db inserting the information into the class table, and the other one resetting the page, basically setting all the selects to the first option(which is something like "Select Instructor") and setting all of the ___selected=0. I've tried many different ways to do this but non of them seemed to have any effect on the page. Also, my submit does not add the tuple to the table, and I'm not sure why that is either. Thanks for any help in advance, and sorry for the ugly format.

[code]<?php
if(($instructorselected==1)&&($courseselected==1)&&($dayselected==1)&&
     ($timeselected==1)&&($roomselected==1)&&($maxselected==1))
  {
    print "<input type=submit value='YES(submit)' onClick=addClass() /> or ";
    print "<input type=submit value='NO(reset)' onClick=resetPage() /> <br>";
  }

function resetPage(){
  //$instructorselect="";
  //$instructorssn = "";
  //$coursenum = "";
  //$dayletter = "";
  //$timenum = "";
  //$roomnum = "";
  //$maxnum6 = "";
  //print "<script LANGUAGE=\"Javascript\">instructorselect.reset()</SCRIPT>";
  //print "<form method=POST action=$PHP_SELF>";
  //print "\'Javascript:submit()\'";
};

function addClass(){
  $sectionnum = mysql_query ("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM class WHERE course=$coursenum") or die(mysql_error());
  mysql_query ("INSERT INTO class VALUES ('$sectionnum','$coursenum','$dayletter','$timenum','$roomnum','$maxnum','$instructorssn')") or die(mysql_error());
};

?>[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=363065:date=Apr 9 2006, 01:27 PM:name=ToonMariner)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ToonMariner @ Apr 9 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]363065[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Why have 2 submit buttons?

have one to submit the requested data to the database and replace the other submit button with a nice and simple reset button?

<input type="reset"> should do the trick.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I've tried the reset button and it did nothing. It seems like no matter what I put in my onClick functions nothing happens besides the page being reloaded. Is my syntax incorrect, or is there a better way to do the submit and reset?

PS thanks for the quick reply

It seems that doing something as simple as this:
[code]print "<input type=submit value='NO(reset)' onClick='$instructorselected=0' /> <br>";[/code]
doesnt even work. It should set $instructorselected=0 and reload the page, not allowing the submit buttons to be shown any more.

Is there simply a way to force a select to a certain value?

such as

[code]print "<select name=testselect>";
print "<option value=1>1</option>";
print "<option value=2>2</option>";
print "<option value=3>3</option>";
print "</select>";

$testselect.selected = 1;[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.