Running your own home web server.

Guest askjames01

Guest askjames01
Yo! brothers...!

How many of you have their own Home web server in your house?
Do you run your website under your Home Server.
Please raise your hand?

and how hard it is to setup one?
Please explain more interestig details setting up your own webserver.
Ok, i have already set-up apache under windows but i haven't experience
broadcasting this live on the net and running a website under a Home Web Server.

Please i want to hear your adventure experiences brothers. :)

thanks in advance.

-/james

I would, but my ISP blocks port 80 and won't give me a static IP. I know the static IP can be fixed using dynamic DNS, but the blocking of port 80 pretty much kills it.

If you really want to do this, I'd suggest doing some research because there are a lot of security issues to consider.

[!--quoteo(post=363368:date=Apr 10 2006, 06:12 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Apr 10 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]363368[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I would, but my ISP blocks port 80 and won't give me a static IP. I know the static IP can be fixed using dynamic DNS, but the blocking of port 80 pretty much kills it.

If you really want to do this, I'd suggest doing some research because there are a lot of security issues to consider.
[/quote]
Can you not use a dynamic DNS service to route connections through a port other than 80? In answer to the original question - I had a RedHat based server up at one point for testing stuff on when I went to college as I couldn't get access to any servers at the college...

I have a spare machine that I'm going to install FreeBSD on at some point, I want to get comfortable with the command line as I have a dedicated server based on FreeBSD and I want to learn how to use its full potential. So, yes, I will do soon, but it will not be open to the public.

Guest askjames01
Yeah, i know i'm new to this and i need intense research to do this both the hardware
configuration and software.

But i saw guys in G4TV.com setup their own HTTP web server,
i might need to go back to G4TV and ask some gurus there.

and also i know this is a little hard at first but when i go along and
get to use with this, this might not be so complicated at all...

to be honest, it is likely more worth your time and money to invest in a dedicated server with live support rather than setting up your own. as ober said, there are many security issues you will need to deal with.

as for the port issue, i believe you can setup a dynamic DNS to point to a specific port on the server and listen on that port for HTTP requests. i've never personally tried it though, so i couldn't say for sure.

I'm sure it's possibly to re-route to a specific port, but again I go back to the security issues. The only way I'd do something like that would be to have a seperate PC that doesn't talk to my other PCs on my home network. And I just don't see that happening.

I run my own server for [a href=\"http://www.jcombs.net\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.jcombs.net[/a]

I'm currently runnning slackware 10 as a web/email/database/ftp/proxy server. It is a not a powerful server, but I don't need it to be. I doubt I really get any hits on my website and it was mostly for my own testing and learning purposes. I use the server more for a proxy and ftp server than anything else. I have a static IP with my ISP and just point my registrars DNS servers to it.

If you don't have a static IP, you can just use a service, I once used DNSexit that would update their dns servers with my IP address every day or hour or whatever you want.

i have a server set up on my local machine, but generally only for development testing. it comes in very useful on my apple mac powerbook too tho, cos it means i can download a site i'm creating to my laptop, work on it whereever i like (ie, anywhere i can get some peace and quiet) and upload the result afterwards. all the ports on my machine are generally closed - i just use 'localhost' to test the results.

as for installation - took me a couple of hours to figure out and do, but in retrospect there are many packages that will get WAMP onto your system in one go within about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
I would recommend setting up a seperate server in your house - dont use your own pc. This is because you can leave a small pc with minimal hardware in your basement etc. and never turn it off ;-)

I would setup a small internal network - and/by/or put 2 network cards on this server. Id setup squid proxy server and use this via your personal one. You can do TONS of stuff with a linux server.

I use debian sarge stable - and it is rock solid. I have any service I want - mysql, apache, bind (dns), mail, proxy... whatever i want. Debian is very very simple to use and there is TONS of stuff out there on it.

I wrote a wiki on all I setup covering basic installing with cd - to firewalls (iptables) - to dns - to mail.
Its at [a href=\"http://wiki.kartbuilding.net\" target=\"_blank\"]http://wiki.kartbuilding.net[/a]
It has been a learning experience.

I am also looking into getting a "Virtual Machine" service where you can get your own Virutal Computer (using xen etc.) It only costs €20 a month with some services.

For testing and mucking around - I have apache/php/mysql on my windows box which If I want can NAT to my outside linux box.

-steve

Guest askjames01
WOW, that is really what i'm waiting for.
cool link....
thanks...

And when did you learned setting up your web server?
and how many days you learned it all?

i'll try that maybe in the future because i'm a little busy understanding this codes php script.
perhaps in the future.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.