Want to download the WWW?

wildteen88

I was just browsing Google News in the Sci/Tech area and came across a new sarticle on [i][a href=\"http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2127600,00.html\" target=\"_blank\"]The web, to go[/a][/i].

This article talks about an app you can download, Webaroo, which can download the WWW on to your PC/Laptop or mobil devices so you dont have to go online! Genius!

If you want to download the WWW get [a href=\"http://www.webaroo.com\" target=\"_blank\"]Webaroo.com[/a] Now!

I have tried it you can either download packets that contain 1000s of websites from the UK, USA etc each averaging at 250Mb or you can dowload single websites. Too.

I dont see a need for this! You have to be online in the first place to get the updated content and download it to your PC. I dont get it!

What do you think?

Guest askjames01
I wonder if that is a good idea or stupid? 'just a thought'

I think downloading WWW is a waste of time and hardisk space...
It's better to have wireless internet connection...

And how can you see the updates in a particular database driven website
if you use that thing?

how?

That would pretty much remove dynamic sites from the list, or it would make it pretty useless. You'd have to download the sites on a pretty regular basis, and who wants to fire off a 250mb+ download every day??

Might be useful for some companies so that they can only allow access to certain sites for their employees, but then again, it's probably a lot easier to set up some kind of internal proxy...

I saw something a while back called the PetaBox (I think) which has an array of discs which had a total of 1 PetaByte storage space, I think one of the advertised uses of it was to download a copy of the internet, one of the applications for this was for analysis of some kind.

[!--quoteo(post=364740:date=Apr 14 2006, 05:08 AM:name=Yesideez)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Yesideez @ Apr 14 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]364740[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] What was the date this news item was posted? April 1st? [/quote]

April 10th - it tells you right above the post.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a feeling that Google downloads the entire WWW, at least that which it's bots can locate.

For example, after a Google search if you look at the Cache links for each result, they are not just a summary of keywords of metadata, they are whole pages in their entirety.

I guess if they don't do this we wouldn't get our search results so quickly, considering that billions of pages get searched. Google is simply amazing.

They must have unfathomably massive amounts of storage.

• 2 weeks later...
well, think about it like this: you buy a book for some information, or for enjoyment, right? when you're done with it, you put it on a shelf. maybe it's a reference book, like a php reference book or a dictionary or something. whenever you need it, you can go back and flip through it and find what you want.

Isn't that the idea of bookmarking websites? people do not only bookmark the websites they go to all the time. they bookmarks sites where they found useful information about something, and they want to be able to go back to it for reference and not have to search for it again later, if they need to. I know I have TONS of links that i've accumulated over the years. Most of them are random tidbits of info here and there.

Now, there I think that it is more than likely if i were to go down my archived bookmarks one by one, I would find many broken links. Or links that the content has changed. Sites shut down. Other people buy domains. Content changes. Who knows. But...

what if i could just download it to my harddrive and keep it as reference there? It would never change, unless I update it myself. And what if I'm NOT online, and I need to look something up? what if I had a bookmark for some recipe and I wanted to look it up but I don't have online access anymore? Or at that time, anyways..

See, there are useful situations for a service like this.

The great thing about the internet and webpages is the ability to make it dynamic. But it's a double-edged sword. The other edge of that sword is lack of consitency, and therefore unreliable reference. Sure, you can always do a search and find the information you are looking for, from [i]somewhere[/i], but is that really efficient? no, it is not.

Ahh... but let's say you have your little WWW reference sitting on your PC from 6 months or even a year ago. Just for PHP alone in the last year, you'd be pretty much lost on the possibility of looking things up for PHP 5.

Data on the web turns obsolete (at least in the web design arena) so fast that keeping a reference around for any long amount of time is dangerous. That's why I don't buy many books on the subject. Most of my research and references are on the net.

yes, i do agree that it's not very useful for constantly changing/updating references. i guess what i meant was, it would be a good idea for the type of content that you [i]would[/i] buy a book for. like umm... mapquest stuff. sure, people build new roads and stuff, but roads don't generally get torn down. not all that often anyways. or, information about dog breeding. or umm... general information about the solar system. whatever.

and yeh, i agree about not buying many books about programming. i usually do buy a book when i'm first learning. I try to find the most up-to-date books that are also easy to understand, and also very cheap. for instance, the "blah in easy steps" books are awesome. they teach you the basics and some common stuff for whatever, like js, php, sql, etc.. and at 10 bucks a pop, can't beat that!

but after i learn the basics, it's all about the up-to-date online references. matter of fact, i just donated like 20 different computer books to my local library last month, increasing their computer book collection to 22, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought this service was aimed at business users
they download a pack of sites that interests them to look through when they don't have access to the web.
For example
you go meet a client so you download their website and related products and you can still access the data even when you are in a plane / somewhere else without web access.

just my two cents

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.