Ever get ripped off?

tibberous

Have you ever been ripped off  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been ripped off

• Yes
    • No

I have been had a few times. But now I make it a point to have at least 75% of the money before the client gets the end product. Even then I usually leave a security hole until I get paid in full. The last time I got ripped off was on a project for a french client. I ended up using a security hole that I left(just in case) and deleted all of data from his database and changed a few things.. Like renaming tables/fields and changed a few primary keys.

If I were you I would wait for a few more days and then tell the client that you have left a security hole in your application and will exploit it if the funds are not sent in x days. It may or may not work but it is worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone who is freelancing - have you ever been ripped off?

I haven't, but am afraid I will be soon. I'll wait until 10 tonight to vote - which is how long I am giving the guy to pay me.

If he rips you off, SUE HIM! You can sue people for ANYTHING nowadays.

To everyone who is freelancing - have you ever been ripped off?

I haven't, but am afraid I will be soon. I'll wait until 10 tonight to vote - which is how long I am giving the guy to pay me.

If he rips you off, SUE HIM! You can sue people for ANYTHING nowadays.

Yeah, but you will probably end up paying more in legal fees to sue the person than your actually suing for. Plus, your not even guaranteed to win the case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have done so much coding with no return. Its a risk you take when you are not dealing with professional customers. Now I ask upfront and do something to show them I am serious. Its much easier. You may pass up projects, but at least you know your getting paid.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.