Better Methods of Practicing

Ergi

I come here because I need help in Practicing PHP. Now I have been TRYING to study it for more than 6 Months.

And so far, I haven't even made my own Small Application.

A problem I have is if I create a new PHP file, I don't have ideas, my Mind goes blank, then I go off and think of other things, and I can freak out if I think OH NO THIS ISN'T RIGHT!

Well, I've been studying so hard, but yet it's not going through to me, and I know it can take Years but I haven't even bloody made Anything, I have tested Functions, but that is basically it. I have made Functions, tested Functions. I have tried to Combine functions, but they seem to Generate Random Errors, even if I use the valid Syntax of those Functions.

I can remember a lot of Functions, and what they do.

By the way, I do not have Experiences in other Languages(Client, Server, General).

Please help me, I want to become a Great Programmer, Writer, and Artist. :D

One more thing, I have this Odd feeling that you have to Insert something Specific at the Beginning of a New PHP File, otherwise it will not Parse. :(

Sorry if this is in the Wrong section, but I am completely off with PHP.

One more thing, I have this Odd feeling that you have to Insert something Specific at the Beginning of a New PHP File, otherwise it will not Parse.

At that rate, in another 6 months you will be as far as learning how to upload your php via ftp

Cant think of ideas is lame. Look around you, there are businesses and people everywhere. Think of something that could be automated using a prorgam or producing dynamic info

Paste us some code of what you have written and we can see what level your at

all you really need at the beginning of the file.. or before and after any php code is the php tags

<?php //this is the openning tag
?> //this is the closing tag

In respect to learning php, I taught myself a lot of what i know, some stuff I found by searching tutorials on google and a lot I learnt from the other forum members here. The best places to start would be php.net as it lists all of the existing functions, and abilities of php. There is also an extensive list of tutorials on this site's homepage: phpfreaks, which I personally fou8nd very helpfull to base some of my knowledge on.

Best of luck!

Ah yes, I don't do Comments. I feel like there is no Point in it. Also, I do use the Short Tag and the <?php methods both..

My usual Ideas are making URL tags, General Blogs, Small Games with Images(Functions).

I have nothing written, except using The Mysql_fetch_object, as since Objects are easy, and messing with String, Date/Time functions!

all you really need at the beginning of the file.. or before and after any php code is thte php tags

<?php //this is the openning tag
?> //this is the closing tag

In respect to learning php, I taught myself a lot of what i know, some stuff I found by searching tutorials on google and a lot I learnt from the other forum members here. The best places to start would be php.net as it lists all of the existing functions, and abilities of php. There is also an extensive list of tutorials on this site's homepage: phpfreaks, which I personally fou8nd very helpfull to base some of my knowledge on.

Best of luck!

I look at PHP.net about 28 Times a day.. I do not know, maybe I have a low Intelligence Level. :(

ALSO, my mind does Race. So maybe that is a Pyschological Explanation for me being so Sensitive to Code.

have you tried following any tutorials, or looking around at other scripts to give you an idea of the kind of things you could do?

Yes. PLENTY! Funny, I find C++ easier than PHP. Could it be just so many Functions to so many things(Arrays, Strings, Date/Time, Files, Images, Zlib, etc)

I need to understand, comprehend, And experience PHP. I won't give up no matter what. :)

And usually, I don't know what to call Variables.. I usually get so frustrated that I use $string and/or $text. :|

I am not a big Fan in Native Words. So I don't quite understand some of which They are trying to say to the Beginner like me.

As Roy Castle said... It's dedication you need! You seem to have this so keep on truckin, the language will settle in and just become a tool in expressing the logic of systems design, whether you write a quote of the day page or whole CMS. As long as you get some kind of achievement out of it, then your going to succeed...

[You've just posted] Surely php is like easy C++!

if you know C++, then php should be relatively easy for you. I'm sure that php is based on C++.

Also you don't need any special names for variables.. When I call arrays I usually name the keys $k and values $v. Short and easy to remember.

Just give them a name that corresponds to what it does. If it's a date, call it $date!

if you know C++, then php should be relatively easy for you. I'm sure that php is based on C++.

Also you don't need any special names for variables.. When I call arrays I usually name the keys $k and values $v. Short and easy to remember.

Just give them a name that corresponds to what it does. If it's a date, call it $date!

Thanks!

Also thanks rare. That helps me a lot. But how do I not keep it tucked in?

Also, Pattern/Expression Matchs make my head spin. |^/$!\/['\*v bleh.

I don't know if you can just View code and immediately understand it's Concept.

Also, how much Time do you recommend I should study the Language.

Usually Discussion Boards like these tend to have Troublesome Members, which they make Clever Comments. As such: 'Stop learning it, because you're a fucking idiot', really -.-

But PHPFreaks is direct and Friendly, I love it here! :D

it's different for everyone.

Some people pick up php quite quickly others take longer, so just study when you can. Once you've finished a bit of code, don't just leave it and forget about it, even if it's really bad, because you can use it to build on and improve your skills.

I'm sure all of us here have written a bit of code early on in our php experience and looked back at it laughing.

it's different for everyone.

Some people pick up php quite quickly others take longer, so just study when you can. Once you've finished a bit of code, don't just leave it and forget about it, even if it's really bad, because you can use it to build on and improve your skills.

I'm sure all of us here have written a bit of code early on in our php experience and looked back at it laughing.

Sounds great! :D Does learning Other Languages as with PHP, affect your Understanding of the Language? Because about a Month ago, I started into XML, and XSLT/XSL.

OH and while I am discussing this. I am completely Confused with Scalars. As such:

$array[56], it's the key pointing to the Value but the problem is, it's also used in other Ways, in which I get completely lost.

Let me find an Example.

Sounds great! :D Does learning Other Languages as with PHP, affect your Understanding of the Language? Because about a Month ago, I started into XML, and XSLT/XSL.

knowledge of any programming type alongside php will help. You can't really make a php website with no knowledge of html, because they do kinda go hand in hand to display the site. XML is something I haven't really needed to use much, but css is another thing to look into if you haven't already

knowledge of any programming type alongside php will help. You can't really make a php website with no knowledge of html, because they do kinda go hand in hand to display the site. XML is something I haven't really needed to use much, but css is another thing to look into if you haven't already

I have mastered, HTML, and CSS. I know a little bit of C++, and I getting a bit better in XML. XSL isn't that needed but it helps. :)

If it's web design your doing, then you'll eventually want some javascript... Also you might like to know about W3C for some standards, here's a page which checks your code to see if it conforms, http://validator.w3.org/, and here's their tutorial's homepage, http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp...

Yeah, I've study a tiny bit of JavaScript. It's great! But I want to Concentrate on the Languages at Hand.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.