PHP or ASP ?Let

grim1208

Alright,

I am to put together a report of what would be better used, PHP or ASP. Currently we have a site built in ASP that connects and utilizes a MSSQL database.

Now I have been recruited in, to build a realestate site. The goals are to utilize the existing website with the MSSQL database information, and make it possible to use the realestate information to add into the MSSQL database.

Does anyone have an opinion with backed up reason of which would be best to make this realestate?

As of this moment, I am leaning towards PHP. A big functionality that will need to be implemented is image alteration. I read that PHP simplifies this process where ASP doesn't quite allow this type of feature.

I want to know the security issues with the two, and if using the mssql manual with PHP is going to affect the sites speed or cause security wholes.

Let's see what you all think :)

You are correct in that ASP has no native image manipulation objects although there are many [i]add in[/i] components available. In fact, ASP only comes with a basic set of 7 objects and around 60 functions. Php comes standard with alot more functionality.

As for security. As always, security isn't really an inherent part of any language, its how you use it. You need to code with security in mind.

Personaly, if I was to choose between one or the other, its php for sure. With ASP there will be the added cost of bying (or creating yourself in C++, VB) any of the extra functionality you may require.

Of course, this all assumes you are talking about plain old ASP and not ASP.NET. If you meant ASP.NET, its a whole other argument, and one that I think you'll find hard for php to win if this company already has any time invested in .NET.

[!--quoteo(post=363677:date=Apr 11 2006, 09:40 AM:name=thorpe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thorpe @ Apr 11 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]363677[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You are correct in that ASP has no native image manipulation objects although there are many [i]add in[/i] components available. In fact, ASP only comes with a basic set of 7 objects and around 60 functions. Php comes standard with alot more functionality.

As for security. As always, security isn't really an inherent part of any language, its how you use it. You need to code with security in mind.

Personaly, if I was to choose between one or the other, its php for sure. With ASP there will be the added cost of bying (or creating yourself in C++, VB) any of the extra functionality you may require.

Of course, this all assumes you are talking about plain old ASP and not ASP.NET. If you meant ASP.NET, its a whole other argument, and one that I think you'll find hard for php to win if this company already has any time invested in .NET.
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback. I am only talking about ASP not ASP.net.

Let me explain more of the current server setup. They have IIS and a MSSQL server setup already. They want the realestate site setup with a sub-domain. Now I am 99% sure they can enable PHP and I can connect to the MSSQL server or create my own MySQL server. however the two databases if chosen to do it this way still will have to communicate together sharing information. Are there any RED FLAGS I should be made aware of? Will this cause bandwidth problems?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.