Php Email Bounce

jandrews3

I am using a very simple script for emailing:

$to = $row['email'];

$subject = "Bounce Test";

$body = "This is a php email bounce test.";

$headers = "From: jandrews@jamesa3.com\r\n" .

"X-Mailer: php".

if (mail($to, $subject, $body, $headers)) echo("<p>Sent.</p>");}

else {echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");}

What I need is when any of the email addresses are not valid, I want it to bounce back to my email address "jandrews@jamesa3.com".

I have looked for examples online, but none of them seem to work. I tried adding:

"Return-Path: detect-bounce@yourdomain.com\r\n",

&

"Return-Receipt-To: bounce@yourdomain.com\r\n"

... but the ampersand gave an error as did the comma. I then used a period instead of a comma and removed the ampersand ... still no positive results. I tried a variety of different configurations using this code with small changes each time.

This is a very important project for me. I would be very greatful for any help!!! Thank you!

Thats true. That regex only validates that the format is correct.

but it is valid to have a email of

me@something.somethingelse.somethingelse.com

I guess in this case that regex doesn't do much good. I use it on my site for registration, but the users also must validate their email...so it works fine in my case.

I explained this in my first post, once it leaves your domain it can't be touched, easily, generally because most servers don't want to share that data.  Yes your aol mail knows when it fails, but as for how it is done that is the question.  I think they must pay for the right to recieve that error of failured to recieve.

if I may.

you could use the pop3 imap funtions to read a pop3 account, and react to any error messages that pop3 or imap server receives, but you'd have to have that email address in the headers of the mail funtion that you used to send the email whether via mail() or mime mail

here's a simple mime mail script

<?php
$to = "enter the addres to send here";
$subject = "subject line here";

$message = "
<html>
<head>
<title>HTML email</title>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>
";

// Always set content-type when sending HTML email
$headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0" . "\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-type:text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" . "\r\n";

// More headers
$headers .= 'From: <email from which you want the mail to come from here>' . "\r\n";
/*$headers .= 'Cc: any cc emails you want to send here seperated by comma's' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Bcc: any bcc mails you want to send to here seperated by comma's' . "\r\n";*/

mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
?>

otherwise you could just use a simple mail()

What I understand is that you're telling me that the regex won't work because it simply verifies syntax, not existence. And, Prime, I'm afraid I didn't understand what you were telling me. I'm fairly new at some of this more complex stuff. I don't know what pop3 imap functions are. Could you explain?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.