Stupid mistakes

Aureole

Do you make stupid mistakes often and what is your experience with PHP?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you make stupid mistakes often and what is your experience with PHP?

• Yes (Experienced)
    • No (Experienced)
    • Yes (Intermediate)
    • No (Intermediate)
    • Yes (Novice)
    • No (Novice)

I just had to post this... when I joined here I knew what a variable was and how to echo, that's about it.

Now I'm (attempting) to write my own Forum software, it's amazing how far I've came since I joined yet I still make amazingly dumb mistakes. Missing semi-colons? Sure. Forgetting to close if statements? Hell yeah, why not. Forgetting to connect to the DB? Definitely!

I know so much more than I did yet I always make dumb mistakes...

...I'm wondering if it's just me or if it's the same for everyone...

Don't lie.  ;D

I consider myself experienced and I always make stupid mistakes.  Usually they only take a few seconds to fix though.

The worst mistake I've made lately, which was still a few months ago, was naming a function parameter with an upper case 'C' but then referring to it in the function as if it were a lower case 'c'.  That took a while to find.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, sorry for those that said they don't in the poll, I don't believe you. :P I could at minimum write an essay, if not a small book on all the mistakes I've made. From just missing a ; in a small page to mis-placing a } in a 1000+ line, forum script page. Everyone does from novice to know-it-all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday I made some mistakes in the worst place possible, during an interview.

I was asked three simple CS questions.

I answered the first one.  Froze on the second like a goober, and was given one slightly less challenging, which I answered.

The first interviewer left and arranged with me to meet a manager; while waiting for the manager, I thought about the one that stumped me.  I had the beginnings of a solution in my head by the time I met with the manager, and afterwards when I'd made it home, I checked my solution and it was correct.

Then later that night in the shower I realized my response for the last question, while correct, was the "dumb" way to do it.

Overall a disappointing experience, but I'd like to think that since I was able to meet with a manager after the first interview that they might still be interested.

Sort of, you can't help but feel a bit stupid when something like that happens to you. What's worse, a room with about 15 developers in it overheard overheard me explaining it to the owner. One actually got up from her (!!!) chair and laughed out loud... Luckily I was able to keep my cool, as much as possible in such a situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just yesterday I made some mistakes in the worst place possible, during an interview.

I was asked three simple CS questions.

I answered the first one.  Froze on the second like a goober, and was given one slightly less challenging, which I answered.

The first interviewer left and arranged with me to meet a manager; while waiting for the manager, I thought about the one that stumped me.  I had the beginnings of a solution in my head by the time I met with the manager, and afterwards when I'd made it home, I checked my solution and it was correct.

Then later that night in the shower I realized my response for the last question, while correct, was the "dumb" way to do it.

Overall a disappointing experience, but I'd like to think that since I was able to meet with a manager after the first interview that they might still be interested.

same happened to me oin my first interview, one day u will also meat the human resources HR girls, they will say things and u will have problems with them, what makes me most angry is that they are payed to look good and say corperation and act smart. when they do interviews they ask silly questions like if this happened what would u do, no matter what u say if they dont like teh look of u they wont hire you they only hire people who are thick like them so they can have a thick party. onc ei went to this little company and they chern ouit loads of tiny sites non complex good looking, they started asking me proper hard riddles im like wth are u teh riddler ?

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.