Web Development Project

huntsman

Hey Everyone,

first off, sorry mods if this is in the wrong section, couldn't see anything else fitting...

I didnt really want to have to do this, I was hoping I could think of something on my own. But, I can't, so I'm asking for some ideas for a project to start developing. I have tried looking at other, "I need a project idea" threads, but only found windows development, or school homework projects. This is slightly different.

I'm thinking of starting a small software company, and by small, I mean, 1-2 projects, in my spare time. If it takes off, then I will invest more time into it, but at the moment, I just want a hobby thing. I dont have a business name or number or an offical business, and would only move down that path if my hobby project(s) take off.

Now, to the project ideas. Here are a few project parameters or constraints I would like to follow:

Web Based, PHP5 (obviously)

MySQL as database engine

Alot of user interaction, so alot of AJAXy stuff.

My primary development environment is windows, and although I often use linux env in a virtual machine, i would like to stick away from anything that is OS specific. obviously relative files are ok, eg. image uploads...but anything that references C:\, D:\ or /home, /var etc i would like to steer clear from, as i would have to code twice as much...i would however be willing to do this if it was only a small amount...

Preferrably not something that has been done 500,000 times. Now this is because, well, its not a homework project, so I would like to release it to world, but think that having something done 500,000 times before is not a good start for my little company, as in, what can i do that other, better ones haven't, so people will use mine...

The project will be released as open source under the GPL.

I cant really think of anything else at the moment that I would like the project to fit into, other than the above.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

I can help with the OS dependent file paths:

// Define Some Global Variables

define('ROOT', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']);

define('DS', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR);

Then you can do something like:

require_once ROOT . 'folder' . DS . 'folder2' . DS . 'file.php';

DS will determine whether to use \ or / based on your OS type, and ROOT is your document root as defined in your httpd.conf file/virtual hosts.  For windows it is normally:  C:\www\html\  and linux is /var/www/html/  But don't worry.  DOCUMENT_ROOT will always point to where you belong. Normally, this will always work fine.  Cpanel might give you some trouble when it comes to subdomains, but for the most part I think it is just env dependent because one of my hosts cpanel screws it up and the other works fine.  Anyways, give that a shot.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.