Your Work Area

SharkBait

When you're coding (php, web design etc) how is your work area laid out?

For me I have dual 19" wide screen monitors. One monitor is for notepad++ to do my code in, as well as photoshop. The other monitor has IE, Firefox etc open so I can see my changes.

I also sometimes have pieces of paper in front of my to sketch out layouts etc when I am brain storming.

What about you?

For me I have dual 19" wide screen monitors. One monitor is for notepad++ to do my code in, as well as photoshop. The other monitor has IE, Firefox etc open so I can see my changes.

WoW!  :D

You mean you have two monitors in one cpu?

Well me? i have only one 17 inches LCD flat screen, and i use CLAY i use it as a tampon into my ears and to stop hearing noises.

well that's my tip right clay LOL  ;D

Well me? i have only one 17 inches LCD flat screen, and i use CLAY i use it as a tampon into my ears and to stop hearing noises.

2 monitors is nothing for any recent processors or cpu usuage. Some programmers use up to 4 monitors. I'm thinking of getting another monitor.

Clay? Huh?

I've got 3 17" TFTs in the middle of my desk, attached to my Ubuntu box which I use for development, then to the left of my first screen I have an Apple MacBook used for testing in FireFox/Camino/Safari and to the right of my third screen I have a Sony Viao laptop with XP Pro on it for testing in IE 6/7 and Firefox.

The three screens on my dev machine are generally set out as follows - Browser & FTP Client | IDE | Database & Working directory.

So, 5 screens in total, the three machines are running Synergy so that I only need one mouse and keyboard to operate all of them :)

No, pretty much just web programming, with a bit of shell scripting here and there...

Two of those five screens are on laptops running different OS's, for cross browser/OS testing. The three screens on my dev machine are great for efficiency and convenience. When on a single screen machine, I get fed up with minimising, switching between windows etc.

Its great to have phpMyAdmin open to the right of me, the project running in a browser to the left of me and all my code in the middle. One big time saver - Especially when you're scripting 12 hours a day.

I've got 3 17" TFTs in the middle of my desk, attached to my Ubuntu box which I use for development, then to the left of my first screen I have an Apple MacBook used for testing in FireFox/Camino/Safari and to the right of my third screen I have a Sony Viao laptop with XP Pro on it for testing in IE 6/7 and Firefox.

The three screens on my dev machine are generally set out as follows - Browser & FTP Client | IDE | Database & Working directory.

So, 5 screens in total, the three machines are running Synergy so that I only need one mouse and keyboard to operate all of them :)

:DROOL:

Nice setup.  I only wish mine were that good.

Work: Ubuntu 7.04.  I'm not sure the size of the monitor -- it's a flat panel, but not very big.  It's square, so my resolution is 1024 x 768.  I typically have two windows open -- gedit for coding, Firefox for looking at what I code.

Home: Vista Business w/ 19inch widescreen (1400 x 900) monitor.  Again, multiple windows -- Notepad++ for coding, Firefox and IE7 for looking at my work.

I really need to get multiple monitors and an Apple so I can test for its browsers...

My main Dev PC I built with an Intel Duel core CPU, 3 gb of ram and 256mb of vid ram, (2) 250 gb sata hd's and some other misc stuff here and there. Attached are 2 dell 20.1" widescreen monitors. I also have a new laptop (dell D830) that I do some testing on.

...XP Pro can accept up to 10 external monitors with no extra configuring...just insert the video cards and away you go!!! :)

http://www.tyleringram.com/blog/Dual-19-inch-Widescreen-Monitors-with-DualView is a picture of my dual 19"s :)

At work I use dual 17" Samsungs. If my video cards at work were better I would of been running dual 20.1" wide screen dell monitors. But one card in the machine is old and doesn't support higher than 1152x768 or something and well a 20" wide monitor doesn't look very appealing at 1152x768 ;)

i use CLAY i use it as a tampon into my ears and to stop hearing noises.

I LOL'ed.

@thorpe

Your mouse looks like a gardening shovel!

I just have a regular desktop with a single 30" HD monitor; that gives me plenty of space to have several things open.  There's a small stack of books on my desk, some relating to programming and others to Warhammer.  Sometimes a cat sleeps on my desk.

The area (when I hurt my foot, and it's still giving me trouble)

setup.jpg

The cats

cute_cats.jpg

Maximum is 2560 x 1600, but I run 1920 x 1200 so that I can still read text.  Mostly I bought it because its always been my dream to play games on a big flat screen.  I bought this awhile ago for $2k, I'm not sure how much they've come down since then.  But at the time I don't think there was any other brand but Apple that made them in this size.

Newegg lists a couple of 30" monitors in the $1200-$1300 range.  I think the quality on this one is amazing, but if I did it over again I might go with a different brand to save some money.

When I initially hooked it up I had a nVidia 7800 Ultra which was a pretty decent graphics card, but it wasn't powerful enough to give me any resolution higher than 1200 x 800.  I ended up having to shell out another $350 for a new video card as well that had true dual DVI support.

So before you buy any really big monitor, do some googling and make sure your video card can support the resolution, unless you're made of money, which I certainly felt like I was at the time.  (My fiance would say otherwise though!  Buahahaha!)

@roopurt18 - I have the same chair that you are sitting in. Isn't it great! I love mine. And gotta love the klipsch speakers.

Hah!  Funny story about the chair!  I had a really crappy chair before this and my fiance wanted to get me a nice gift, so she gets me that chair right.  But she wanted me to pick out one that I liked because she knew how particular I am about them since I spend a lot of time in the computer chair.  So we drive around to a few places and I test out dozen or so chairs at each one, finally we buy that one, as you're right, its really comfy.

I get home, set it up, and start doing stuff.  For regular usage it was great.  But for games it was terrible.  The arms constantly got in the way and they're not adjustable so it was either sit awkwardly or get sore elbows.  So eventually we decided she can use the chair and we bought me a more simple one with no arms and basic cushioning.

So then my desk was falling apart so I bought a new one, which is really just a cheap table.  Well it's taller than the old one so the chair is a perfect fit now.  But she won't give it back to me!  8[

I like tama's they sound pretty good. I have a Mapex Orion Classic, Tama Swingstar (for practice), Tama Starclassic Birch, and a Pearl Reference Special Edition for 2007 (only 1 of 40 made). I love music and playing...even MORE then PHP haha :D

...So as promised, here is a little snapshot of my desk

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.