Setingup an database for website.

Guest daleosmond

Guest daleosmond
Hey,
Right now I am going to start making an website a bit like my$pace.
my site offing free space, forums and accounts (of course) and in the future I might progress and add new services but my main question is shall I keep it all in one database or multiple but the sites user accounts will be used all over the site.

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could give me some ideas on what to do.

if you are keeping the database relational (Which I assume you are) I don't see why one database wouldn't be fine. As far as I know there isn't any real limit to tables in a database (I could be wrong).

If you are trying to do a project like myspace though (depending on how many users you have) you might eventually need to think about multiple servers and load balancing.

One database is definitely preferable -- obviously, if you have thousands of tables, then there's a slight overhead for the actual I/O operation that opens & closes the files that represent the MyISAM tables. Otherwise, the only issue of all of these tables will be open simultaneously is tuning the table_cache size appropriately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.