Search Engine Optimization Questions

joseph

Hello, how do we make a title like "My Website" appear in search engines (such as google) as title? Should I just add a meta descriptions and keywords? or is it the header title tags that makes it work?

For example:

1. My Website <- How to make this possible?

This site is .......

2. Amazon.com

Books, etc......

Thank you.

Thanks.

Should I put a sitemap.xml or robots.txt deep inside a sub directory so that crawlers will be able to detect my subpages? Like for example, in sitename.com/mysite/sitemap.xml so that crawlers will be able to find sitname.com/mysite/subpages/.. ?

Joseph SEO is a tricky business, so take slow to learn about how and when to use it.

Please read about robots.txt standards used to exclude pages you do not want indexed by search engine robots

http://www.robotstxt.org/

Google;s Webmaster Guidelines

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

I find Page Rank is not passed through site map XML, so you may want to make a static page HTML site map and link to it from your top page.

If you have many and many pages you need to think of a directory tree style linkage, with the lower pages in the tree having the highest PR and the higher pages the lower PR.

Lower pages equal root of the tree! So same as your hard drive!

What ever you do take your time to learn about SEO and do not be in the hury to rank high.

There is no short cut to optimizing your Website because at the end of the day content is King.

Good luck

Here is my theory of google's page ranking system.

Good alt tags, good keyword chooses and meta tags mean practically enough. These are simply used to find your site. - As though each site has an equal page rank, but only differ by what the user searched for. I.E. "computer help" would grab pages with that relevant info in thier title and in the context.

Page Rank, on the other hand is a lot different. This creates prority over the sites. This is because there are millions upon billions of sites that may turn up with equal relevance like another site. So this is where links come into play.

Here is what happends:

1. Google seraches the web and finds 150 links to your site

2. Two days later, google crawls the web again and finds 155 links to your site.

3. One week later ... 180 links to your site.

Now google decodes this info in a huge database table. It calculates the growth of your site. Like a math parabola or something close to calculus - its  probably very complicated. Anyway, google tracks the growth of your site algebraically and your growth pattern = priority = eventually really page rank!

That is where link schemes don't work!  >:( If google sees your site gain 1000 links in a week and the following week only gain 2 links, this shows an invalid growth pattern, both not logical or practical.

Hope that helps!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.