ideas, comments, excetera

Ninjakreborn

The header images are hideous and pixelated. Throw them away and do something better - please.

TNR has its place - but looks awful on most web sites. Use a sand-serif font instead.

The layout and colors are underwhelming. Whatever you're selling, you need a design that's attractive and shows some skill - your's fails both those tests.

[!--quoteo(post=364819:date=Apr 14 2006, 05:22 PM:name=businessman332211)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(businessman332211 @ Apr 14 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]364819[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[a href=\"http://www.freelancebusinessman.com\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.freelancebusinessman.com[/a]
I will overhaul it with php, in a few weeks.
[/quote]

where do i start....i'm not gonna pull punches here as i think it's best to be critical....

everything that AndyB said is spot on:

1, your header is ugly, well drawn and frankly belongs in 'yesterday'
2, the term 'freelance businessman' itself immediately gives me an image of you as a fly-by-night insurance salesman, interested in nothing but taking cash and delivering not much in return. 'businessman' is a word that should be saved for boardrooms and for others to refer to you as, rather than as a self-promotional statement.
3, all these skills you say you have - xhtml, css, etc - where is there any examples of CSS jumping at me? your navigation is awful. blue (unvisited) and purple (visited) links are really something that should never happen anymore apart from on pure text sites. if CSS, etc are skills, why not have a rollover nav?
4, you say you used javascript in your site. if so, where? in fact, looking through it, why? nowhere seems to justify its use.
5, are you promoting you or your services?
6, [!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]promotion and hosting that surpasses that of most people that have been doing it for 40 or more years[/quote]proof?
7, the only hint of colour on your page is the W3C xhtml/css logos.
8, [!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]In about 2 weeks I will be taking the time to put 2 forms on this web page that are going to allow you to fill out a form and automatically send me project description information, and give me feedback on my website. Those will be added here in about 2 weeks after I sort through my current projects.[/quote]this is a 5 minute job, regardless of how busy you are. in the time you put together your justification in not having a contact form, you could have made one which a) would have looked better and b) wouldn't mean you need to excuse yourself from something you havent done on your site.

i could go on, but i think you get the gist. you really need to look at it yourself and think 'would i pay this guy 300 dollars to do MY site?'

sorry if that all sounds a little harsh, but there's only one way to help these days if makin money is what your aim is...

The design isn't that nice however i was suprised its a "table-less" design.

I would recommend you to scrap your images as they are all pixelated and very unprofessional. Think about your grammer and spelling and making sure your sentances make sense too. Also you say you have a passion for web design, I can tell you their aint much passion in your site design at the moment.

You might want to think about completly redesigning your site which will show all the knowledge that you have studied/learn't every language under the sun. At the moment it shows a couple of hours of HTML and CSS and a touch of "MS Paint".

If you want business coming your way then you should seriously try to make your site a lot more professional showing what you can do on your site. With HTML/CSS/PHP.

I agree with wildteen and redbullmarky...

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]2, the term 'freelance businessman' itself immediately gives me an image of you as a fly-by-night insurance salesman, interested in nothing but taking cash and delivering not much in return. 'businessman' is a word that should be saved for boardrooms and for others to refer to you as, rather than as a self-promotional statement.[/quote]

I would suggest comming up with your own Corporate Identity. Freelance Businessman just has a blank face that could fit anyone. Be your own person and stand out. If you don't, well your giving into that blank mask that everyone puts on and is hoped to be noticed.

Be orginal, impress, set high standards (and keep them there), and always go the extra mile cause it helps.

I hope I was a little easier than the other comments...

Perfect I will redo the entire website, I will study some and get better with pictures, I did that with fireworks, I have gotten better with graphic design since then, a lot better than that picture shows, I will redo the picture, I will keep the same content(wording, pages names, excetera, just check for spelling and grammer better, and positition it better, I will recreate it, I forgot the javascript I was still new at it hten, once I Finish mastering php I Will redo the website, and use .php filenames, and create them with php, I will add in the javascript, adn create a better menu using css. THanks for the advice, It will be a few weeks, and I will repost here agian to hopefully get more advice on the new website. in a new topic.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.