[SOLVED] Need a review

AV1611

Well, I'll start a new thread, some idiot hijacked my thread and got it locked.

Critique on Idea, not really this site layout...

« on: October 11, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »

I had this idea for a site.  I'm not really looking for a critique on the design so much as the idea.  I am just using Drupal with a theme.

The site is targeted at the GNU/Linux novice... specifically the Christian Homeschoolers, and the like.  It is meant to be an eclectic help site, combining Blog entries, articles, links and a forum to post questions on how to use linux.  The target may include people who didn't realize that Linux didn't even exist.  I have written a few articles for effect.

Thanks for any input.

//EDIT:

As is my custom, I forgot the link Tongue

http://TranquilPenguin.com

Page views are everything. Unique visitors are everything. Want to make more $$$?

- Then why not drop the whole christian thing and make it "for the devoted linux user" or something like "for the risk takers." Either way, limiting your target audience to christians is simply stupid.

I am Christian, and I would never use it. I feel its a bit of discrimination to those with different religious beliefs. I mean, linux doesn't go with religion or vice-versa. So you have unsuccessfully targeted your visitors. It'll be a miracle if anyone ever becomes a normal visitor to the site.

I had this idea for a site.  I'm not really looking for a critique on the design so much as the idea.  I am just using Drupal with a theme.

The site is targeted at the GNU/Linux novice... specifically the Christian Homeschoolers, and the like.  It is meant to be an eclectic help site, combining Blog entries, articles, links and a forum to post questions on how to use linux.  The target may include people who didn't realize that Linux didn't even exist.  I have written a few articles for effect.

Thanks for any input.

//EDIT:

Do you have something against people who aren't Christian?

And did you even make that? It looks to me like Drupal or something. I'm pretty sure this section is for websites that YOU made, not for downloading vBulletin/Drupal/IPB/whatever and putting a theme on it (that you didn't even make).

Thanks for any input.

//EDIT:

And did you even make that? It looks to me like Drupal or something. I'm pretty sure this section is for websites that YOU made, not for downloading vBulletin/Drupal/IPB/whatever and putting a theme on it (that you didn't even make).

First, let me respond to the quote above.  If you read my first post, you will see that I stated the fact that I was looking for constructive critisizm on the idea, not the site.  The fact that it's drupal (which I think I've themes quite nicely BTW) is irrelevant to conversation.

When and where did I ever imply that?  Bringing up Christianity sure seems to have brought a lot of stereotypical views of my character.  So much for tolerance...

As for the rest of you.  I posted here exactly for this reason.  Let me explain what I am trying to do.  There a a zillion Linux Noob sites out there (I know, I've visited them all many times in the past 2 years as I have tried to learn Linux)

What I am trying to do is reach a group of people (PLEASE, Let's not makes this a philosophical argument over who's view are right or wrong) that tend to avoid Linux because of the nerve that it touched both in this thread and in the original thread I started.  I AM NOT TRYING TO PERSUADE ANYONE TO AGREE/DISAGREE WITH CHRISTIANITY.  What I am trying to do is come up with a way to get the segment of people interested, and I my idea is to make an environment in which they will feel non-threatened.  My fear is that if I don't put up the wall of Christianity, they will not bother, as the "Homeschool" folks that I'm trying to reach are very particular.  You might say it's bad business, It's not business in my case (As my wife reminds my daily, most of my work doesn't generate much $$$ j/k)  It's about trying to read that target audience.  What I need is not hostility towards the idea, but suggestions on how to make the idea more palatable without losing site of the target I'm trying to reach.

I hope this will help in what I'm looking for, and bleed off the pressure that I never intended to create with this thread to begin with.

Thank you.

having said that then, it's a poor idea. I hope it works for you - so good luck with it - but you did ask for opinions on the idea, and feedback here seems perfectly above board, fair comment, and exactly what you asked for.

i understand your point about people being particular, by aiming at a certain group in a particular way. a BETTER model, IMO, would be to build a reputable network of sites and drop a more subtle "christian" link/banner (eg, "Part of the blah blah network) in the footer. Your site would then have the "stamp of approval", but would also not alienate other groups; but the way it comes across at the moment is all wrong and could be taken as discriminatory, even if that's not your intention.

Looks nice and clean though - as for the comments previously about using Drupal, I couldn't disagree more. Drupal needs some hard work and plenty of learning to get it to play ball, unlike more conventional CMS's, so good job there.

having said that then, it's a poor idea. I hope it works for you - so good luck with it - but you did ask for opinions on the idea, and feedback here seems perfectly above board, fair comment, and exactly what you asked for.

i understand your point about people being particular, by aiming at a certain group in a particular way. a BETTER model, IMO, would be to build a reputable network of sites and drop a more subtle "christian" link/banner (eg, "Part of the blah blah network) in the footer. Your site would then have the "stamp of approval", but would also not alienate other groups; but the way it comes across at the moment is all wrong and could be taken as discriminatory, even if that's not your intention.

Looks nice and clean though - as for the comments previously about using Drupal, I couldn't disagree more. Drupal needs some hard work and plenty of learning to get it to play ball, unlike more conventional CMS's, so good job there.

Redbull, thank you for making my day.  That is the first objective suggestion that I've gotten on this.  I am not sure how to implement it, however.

I have a string of sites, but I don't get any hits.  I will list them here, in the hopes that someone will help me to generate some hits.

http://www.tranquilpenguin.com

http://www.restoringthetruth.org

http://www.trinaworld.com

http://www.truthsoldiers.com

The last of these is a clan gaming website, trinasworld is my daughters blogsite, restoringthetruth is my blog/Bible reference site, and the top is my Linux Noob site. 

Here is the question to ALL that have posted:

If I drop the "Christian" targeting, will anyone care about yet anothe Linux Noob Howto website?

Please help, I'm not good at this part of the business.

Thank you, and sorry if I overreacted.

Trinasworld redirects to a skateboard ads page-I'm guessing that's wrong?

Also, as it stands the Christian targeting isn't really helping-just looking at this board points out the flaws with religion. Christians can be at times regarded as pushy and narrow-minded, and by putting Christian in the title you've opened up a massive can of worms that should be used only when you plan to take advantage of controversy. Also, as it stands, you are right: no one will care about another how-to site. You need to figure out something that sets you apart-something that doesn't ignite this kind of controversy. Try something like video tutorials or bigger font to target an older market segment. Maybe even make your own Linux distro to go with it?

The fact that it's drupal (which I think I've themes quite nicely BTW) is irrelevant to conversation.

Hmm well I would be glad to review a site you made yourself, but I'm not going to review Drupal, since you didn't made Drupal.

And on a side note, it seems you didn't even make that theme for it either (since it says right on the bottom of the page who made it).

When and where did I ever imply that?  Bringing up Christianity sure seems to have brought a lot of stereotypical views of my character.  So much for tolerance...

In your first post where you said it was just a site for Christians.
The site is targeted at the GNU/Linux novice... specifically the Christian Homeschoolers

What was the point of that if you aren't trying to alienate everyone that isn't a Christians?

used only when you plan to take advantage of controversy.

That is a great statement, and helps me. 

My RestoringTheTruth site does exactly that. I see now that This site uses that edge,but it doesn't work for the content here, where it helps in the other site.

I will rethink the site, and maybe just keep it a blog for now.

One parting though, I've heard this stated several times, and I think it's an unfair statement:

Being Pro anything doesn't necessarily imply Anti anything else.  My Site was design to target the Christian Home Schoolers -  Which is a small niche.  That does not mean it bashes anything.  Sever took it that way, and I do not think that's fair.

Finally,

I never asked anyone to critique Drupal nor the theme I chose for it.  I used a theme, modded is a little, and called it good.  I pointed this out very clearly in my original post.  I never would have imagined the hostility it caused.  I am glad I posted, I learned a lot... whether I agree with all the lessons or not. 

I will call this project done and come back when I get a fresh idea.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.