Get your MMO on

KevinM1

I'm pretty sure that we've all played some form of online game, so why not share what you've played, what you liked, what you hated, and what you're currently playing now, if anything?  I'll go first:

My very first MMO (if it could really be called that) was Federation on AOL in the mid-90's.  It was a text-based sci-fi game in which you haul cargo, fight bad guys, and explore space.  If you got to a high enough level, you could actually create your own planet.  This was pretty fun (I liked the "pewpew" Han Solo vibe), but the grind was pretty rough.  It took a lot of cargo runs to get enough money to buy decent weapons.

I moved onto Dragonrealms, another text-based game on AOL (it still exists today, but is now hosted by Simutronics).  Unsurprisingly, it's a fantasy, swords & sorcery game.  It featured a very detailed world, but, again, it was a bit of a grind fest.  Experience was handled a bit differently than other games.  Skills are learned through repetition.  Unfortunately, some of the skills don't really lend themselves to that kind of learning.  For instance, learning magic devices, at an early level, basically entails focusing on a runestone every 20 seconds for an hour to get the learning rate up to a decent level.

At college, I played a free MUD called Revenge of the Jedi.  Fun, simple game set in the Star Wars universe.  Small community of players (20 or so regulars).  It was fun, until they changed the codebase (it went from an awesome CircleMUD setup to some homebrew thing).

The last two I've played have been World of Warcraft and EVE-Online.  Both are fun, but flawed.

WoW has top-notch production values, but the game isn't much fun.  There's no real point other than obtaining gear and bragging rights.  There's no real way for the player to leave their mark on the game world.  The 20 red bandannas you get from the Defias Brotherhood never help the Alliance in any appreciable way.  The world will always remain static.

EVE is the complete opposite, in those regards.  Players drive the entire economy, they shape the vast majority of the political landscape, and in very tangible ways, the player matters.  Do a Google search on the Guiding Hand Social Club to see what I mean.  The problem is that the game feels like playing a spreadsheet with some flashy graphics.  That, and there's no real viable way of going the Han Solo route -- smuggling rogue who gets by with their wits and cunning -- as the in-game police force is too perfect.  All that said, I'm still tempted to go back as the player base is far more mature than WoW's.

So, what have been your online gaming experiences?

If you count xbox live - online subscription for xbox players - , then I play Halo 3.

Its a massive online game with more than 1,000,000 daily players. Its mad funny too. You shoot and kill ppl, but you can also play less violent games including capture the flag and "tag" - but with guns. LOL.

If you count xbox live - online subscription for xbox players - , then I play Halo 3.

Its a massive online game with more than 1,000,000 daily players. Its mad funny too. You shoot and kill ppl, but you can also play less violent games including capture the flag and "tag" - but with guns. LOL.

I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't own an Xbox.  I have been playing Warhawk on my PS3, though.  It's an online game similar to the Battlefield 1942-ish games on the PC (although much simpler).  It, too, has capture the flag, and zone capture/defend, and other modes.  Great fun.

• 3 weeks later...

The only MMOs I really play are things like Puzzle Pirates and Two Moons. I, too, don't own an XBox. I owned a PS3 for about 3 weeks... I bought one for the sole purpose of reselling it lol. I've got a Wii, but I'm waiting to get Smash Bros Brawl before I do much online with it (yes, I know that's not an MMO, but neither is Halo technically).

If my understanding of the acronym is correct, you are asking for Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games and not the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG).  In that case, since Halo 3 CAN be played as a 4-player co-op, and you CAN pit yourself against or team up with others (up to 16 players at a time), then I guess it qualifies for MMO.  I fit into this area.

My brother on the other hand fits into both categories.  He plays WoW and Halo 3.

If my understanding of the acronym is correct, you are asking for Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games and not the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG).  In that case, since Halo 3 CAN be played as a 4-player co-op, and you CAN pit yourself against or team up with others (up to 16 players at a time), then I guess it qualifies for MMO.  I fit into this area.

Therein lies another of those nebulous areas of terminology... who defines what "Massively" actually means? I mean, to me, that would refer to a massive number of concurrent users, but I'm not sure if that's what the actual acronym stands for or not. By the simple definition, everything from Quake 3 to HL2 can be categorized as MMO, and I would assume that this isn't what the term is intended to be... although, I've been known to be wrong in the past ;-)

I mean, to me, that would refer to a massive number of concurrent users

Well . . . thousands of Halo 3 players are online at the same time, so by definition of "Massively", it can be considered a MMO.

WoW is considered a MMO, and you can only have so many players in your clan playing a campaign, so the definition sticks to both games.

As of this posting there are  227,905 players on-line playing Halo 3.

Stupid computer acronyms.  Where did I put that Dictionary . . .

I would say that the "massively" part means that you have a very large amount of players (more than two four-man teams) able to directly interact with one another. WoW, for example - you go run over this hill, and there's a bunch of people. You go into this town and there's a bunch more people. Not so in Halo - your four-man team goes over the hill and sees another four-man team. And that's it. You can't interact with nearly as many people as you can in WoW.

I'm not here to start a fight or anything but the OP said:

I'm pretty sure that we've all played some form of online game, so why not share what you've played, what you liked, what you hated, and what you're currently playing now, if anything?

Not specifying what was meant by "online game", one may assume that Xbox Live games (or games playable through the Xbox Live network) may be included into the category.

Also seeing that he didn't specify console or PC, then any game you can play online can be considered a MMO especially if the first example he uses is a text-based game.

I play Eve Online on the PC and Halo 3 on the Xbox 360, that's pretty much it.

May I ask what corp you're in?

It's an extremely new corporation me and a few friends put together about a week ago. We're all new players, don't worry you're not missing out on anything.

Thousands? If you go on Bungie.net, then to the Bungie Online section at the right time of the Day, there's more than a million playing, way more. True they aren't all on the same server but every game they play, is sent to Bungie's server, every screenshot you take, every film clip, game variant and map you make, every time you upload to your fileshare etc. etc. etc. everything is sent to them... their server gets owned by the sheer amount of data that gets thrown at it... hundreds of GBs a day... I would imagine, maybe only tens of GBs but still.

I play Eve Online on the PC and Halo 3 on the Xbox 360, that's pretty much it.

May I ask what corp you're in?

It's an extremely new corporation me and a few friends put together about a week ago. We're all new players, don't worry you're not missing out on anything.

Actually, I wasn't looking to join.  I'm in a pretty decent corp right now -- Merch Industrial.  Was just curious to see if you were a BoB member or ally.  If so, there would be a chance of us meeting in battle.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.