Top level domain?

Azu

So basically there are three common types of domains

Sub-sub domain "mywebsite.somebodyelse'swebsite.domain"

Sub domain (what I have) "mywebsite.domain"

And the actual domains themselves.. like com, net, org, info, and such.

What I want to know is.. how do I get a top level domain like that? So people can put mywebsitename into the address bar of their browser instead of mywebsitename.domain?

You have to register one through a registrar.

You pay a yearly fee and in turn get control over the domain.

I myself use godaddy.com as a registrar.

Edit: I misread or you used tld in an incorrect way; you have to become a sponsor of a tld(e.g. .com, .net, .org etc) but that doesn't mean you own it.

See here: http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/sponsored/sponsorship-agmt-16oct01.htm

you're sort of asking two questions here:

What I want to know is.. how do I get a top level domain like that? So people can put mywebsitename into the address bar of their browser instead of mywebsitename.domain?

the former is something different and the answer is as Daniel said. The latter is generally down to Google and a dose of "I'm Feeling Lucky". When an address cannot be found (at least in firefox), the browser uses Google (or whatever you have) to perform a search. If a virtually exact match is found, there's your site.

If I put "phpfreaks" in my address bar, with nothing else, I get to this site.

So basically there are three common types of domains

Sub-sub domain "mywebsite.somebodyelse'swebsite.domain"

Sub domain (what I have) "mywebsite.domain"

And the actual domains themselves.. like com, net, org, info, and such.

Just a few notes:

The hierarchy of domain names is usually as follows:

.org - Top Level Domain, controlled by ICANN.

example.org - Domain, controlled by the owner. Points to a specific machine.

www.example.org - Subdomain. Most people don't realize that the "www." part is actually part of the domain, they think it's Just There . www.example.org may very well resolve to a different machine than example.org, and it very often does.

And you can take your subdomains as many levels deep as you want, with the most important restriction being that the final label can be no greater than 63 characters long.

If you're still interested in buying a domain after the new information brought to light by redbullmarky and Daniel0, though, here's a comprehensive list of accredited domain name registrars.

The easiest way would probably be to lead an expedition to Bouvet Island, setup a settlement and declare sovereignty. The biggest problem would then be getting an internet connection, and killing seals, and not getting attacked by the UN, or arrested / killed by the Norwegian government. You would also have to get recognized as the real ruler of the island, or ICANN might not give you control of the TLD.

Of course, this is assuming you don't mind the TLD .bv - other ones would be much harder to get.

The easiest way would probably be to lead an expedition to Bouvet Island, setup a settlement and declare sovereignty. The biggest problem would then be getting an internet connection, and killing seals, and not getting attacked by the UN, or arrested / killed by the Norwegian government. You would also have to get recognized as the real ruler of the island, or ICANN might not give you control of the TLD.

Of course, this is assuming you don't mind the TLD .bv - other ones would be much harder to get.

Oh.. so there is only one top-level domain per country? Which one owns .com? o_O

Oh.. so there is only one top-level domain per country?

Yes.

Which one owns .com? o_O

No country owns .com. It was originally intended for commercial websites but is now being used as "miscellaneous"/"international". A lot of American websites use .com instead of .us as well which is an actual TLD meant for the United States.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.