upload file script

bmbc

Hi,

I just joined today as bmbc which stands for "beyond my brain's capacity" in the hope I might get some
help regarding php and mysql- the latter of which is def bmbc! I don't want to be sexist but most females and males for that matter , I know, don't have a clue about programming but as a female I have to say I'm
thinking maybe I just don't have the hormones to enable a comprehension of this strange type of code.
So, regardless, I have to plead complete and utter stupidity no matter how much I read on the subject.
Well, um, where do I start? file upload. I have now downloaded several scripts to do with this and another one today from my service provider which actually works but because I am not
following what is going on I can't possibly begin to make it work the way I want. Basically I'm trying to make it
so people can upload no more than 5 pics and 200 word txt that goes into a specific folder which then will be recorded on my database. But I want to create it so the pics are sized correctly and associated with the individual user. But I'm scared of giving out the address in here because then I might get pranksters
uploading who knows what to my site so I don't really know how to get the help I need.
But something tells me it has alot to do with permissions and at the moment I'm wandering around in a
very dark hole of confusion!
Could someone point me in the right direction for absolute dummy needing help?

Thanks

PS: I couldn't find an emoticon to properly define my state of mind.

First, if you will look under your keyboard you will discover that it is [b]gender-less[/b].

Next, learning php, mysql, how to cook turducken, how to wash clothes etc etc all require the same process.

a. One step at a time
b. study
c. observe
d. experiment

IMHO, it is best to first define your ultimate objective. Then develop an outline, in plain english, of the information (data) you need to reach your goal and of the steps necessary. When you have that do a google search for each step. ie serach term: php snippet file upload OR php tutorial image resize.

Its not really hard, IF you look at things as simply as possible and build in increments.

Not exactly what you asked for, but a starting point.

Lite..

[!--quoteo(post=365068:date=Apr 15 2006, 08:35 AM:name=Barand)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Barand @ Apr 15 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]365068[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Like dumb basketball posts?
[/quote]

I apologize for that! My 15 year old son seems to think that was a funny thing to do when my back was turned.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.