mail..... SMTP and _port or something

lssjg

Ok.... i tried to do a mail thing in php//.... and i couldn't get it to work... so someone who had already done and got it working sent me the files.... i then tried it on my computer and it didn't work...

the error is this...

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\Websites\Server\www\jstest\register.php on line 121

On 121 is just the mail part.....

now i am running PHP, apache, etc... on my computer..... on WINDOWS XP pro...

According to my research on google i am meant to put in some ISP or something...... but i don't know where to find it or anything...

I just want to be able to run everything off my computer currently.

thanks in advance to anyone that helps...

[!--quoteo(post=365023:date=Apr 15 2006, 04:22 AM:name=legendary ssj goku)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(legendary ssj goku @ Apr 15 2006, 04:22 AM) [snapback]365023[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ok.... i tried to do a mail thing in php//.... and i couldn't get it to work... so someone who had already done and got it working sent me the files.... i then tried it on my computer and it didn't work...
the error is this...
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\Websites\Server\www\jstest\register.php on line 121

According to my research on google i am meant to put in some ISP or something...... but i don't know where to find it or anything...
[/quote]

You require a MTA - mail transport agent, to accomplish the job. On Linux boxes it's quite easy to get sendmail to do the task. Or if you have access to an SMTP server you could possible rely on it and send the e-mail. I'm sorry, I don't how people do it on Windoze.

[!--quoteo(post=365044:date=Apr 15 2006, 06:30 AM:name=legendary ssj goku)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(legendary ssj goku @ Apr 15 2006, 06:30 AM) [snapback]365044[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
oh....
any else...
please help!
[/quote]

please!

[!--quoteo(post=365239:date=Apr 16 2006, 02:16 AM:name=legendary ssj goku)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(legendary ssj goku @ Apr 16 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]365239[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
please!
[/quote]

Is there a SMTP server which i can download even...

HELP

peoples!

[!--quoteo(post=365916:date=Apr 18 2006, 08:59 AM:name=legendary ssj goku)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(legendary ssj goku @ Apr 18 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]365916[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Is there a SMTP server which i can download even...
HELP
peoples!
[/quote]

If it's you machine you use for testing, put in the SMTP server name of you ISP, eg mail.yourhost.com or smtp.yourhost.com

Although it won't necessarily work correctly. Just know that when you upload it onto your web server, it will work if it is Linux and if it' windows then I don't know but at least you'll be able to get your hosting provider to help.

Rob

[!--quoteo(post=365023:date=Apr 15 2006, 04:22 AM:name=legendary ssj goku)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(legendary ssj goku @ Apr 15 2006, 04:22 AM) [snapback]365023[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
the error is this...

[/quote]

dude i am also facing the same problem.....let me know in case u get a valid reply.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.