Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2oMst

Help with a query plz

Ok i tried helping out a guy about a ranking system he tried to do on his site and couldn\'t quite get the query working.

What I want:

I have a forum_1_msg table with a user column.

I would like to have a ranking system of the most posts.

A post = 1 row in that table.

In theory:

Display every user once, using DISTINCT and count how many times this user has posted on the forum, and then sort it.

A few queries I tried:

mysql_query("SELECT DISTINCT user, count(user) AS nbr_posts FROM forum_1_msg ORDER BY nbr_posts DESC");

mysql_query("SELECT GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT user) AS cur_user, GROUP_CONCAT(count(cur_user)) AS nbr_posts FROM forum_1_msg ORDER BY nbr_posts DESC");

I tried many other queries, the number 1 I thought would be the most accurate. After reading the doc on mysql.com I thought the number 2 query would be more appropriate but hey .... Both don\'t work.

Any help here ???

PS: I know this is not the best way for this to work but it\'s mainly for educational purpose on mysql_querying

Thank you

SELECT user, COUNT(*) as nbr_posts FROM forum_1_msg

GROUP BY user ORDER BY nbr_posts DESC

hth

ahh !! yes, very nice

GROUP BY power :)

I\'ll experiment with group by, thank you.

ps: anyone know of any good sites showing all the syntax you can put into a mysql_query ... ?? (besides mysql.com)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.