[SOLVED] frets on fire site

thewooleymammoth

I was thinking about creating a website which allowed direct download of frets on fire songs (frets on fire is a computer version of guitar hero) but i was wondering about the lagality of it. Do you think it could be legal with a disclaimer saying the user must legally own an original copy of the song before downloading? tell me what you guys think, thanks.

Altought i had some interest on Guitar Hero, i never actually played it, or even saw it.

That said, this isnt the place to know if something is legal or not. Altought i'm starting to hate this sentence, but, 'google is your friend'.

Also, after that said. Even if it's illegal... that doenst make it less profitable.

Also, after saying this... if you actually make something 'illegal' you will be hated by a million people, and you better make sure your site is secure... to the extreme.

and where should i ask if its legal???

a lawyer? seriously - if you're gonna be looking at making some £££ from this, you got to be prepared to do some proper homework and perhaps invest a little cash. for legal stuff, you're asking the wrong people altogether. a lawyer won't need to know much about PHP to tell you if it's wrong or not and what measures you'll need to take.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As pessimistic as it sounds, you can't really leave it up to end-user honesty to prevent the songs from being illegaly downloaded.

You might need a little more restriction than that, and you might have to end up contacting the company to make sure.

That being said, how are these songs originally available? Are they downloadable via the official website, and if so what disclaimer do they have there?

And to the whole purpose of the site, why would they need to download the song if they already own it? I can understand why someone who already owns a game would want to download a ROM, but as for a song on a computer game that can be ripped, I dunno. Maybe it'd be safer just to give instruction/tools defining how to get the song themselves.

Of course, that's still shaky grounds.

the game itself is for free, however you can download user created tracks which take some time and energy to create, so its alot easier to download them. However my question pertains to wether or not it is possilbe to create a site to download the precrated songs with the guitar chords attached to them

I get what you're saying. Since all the songs in FoF are composed of a song and the notes that you need to play,  you're wondering if downloading the SONG part is legal?

I can't believe it's legal.  Music producers never want to give any songs away free. If I remember right, FoF only comes with a few songs, right? That's probably because they don't want to get into any legal trouble.

But no one really cares. I don't think any one would ever go to your site and then decide to sue you or anything.

Personally, I've downloaded loads of FoF songs from different sites. None of them complain about any legal action taken against them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.