Not truely a PHP question

litebearer

Nice day, sun is shining, birds are singing and the old man is thinking outside the box again.

I realize that this is not really a PHP question; however, I truely respect the knowledge that many of the people on his forum have (people like Toplay, Barand, AndyB, gizmola etc). So on to the question.

Is it possible to 'run' a program/application on one's web site? ie.

there is a free python program called webswoon, that seems to do what many recently have asked about here. It takes a 'snapshot' of a url and saves it as a jpg file.

Obviously, one could set windows task manager to (1) start the program (2) save the jpg (3) start an ftp program to upload the jpg to one's web site. BUT....

Thanks,

Lite...

First, Happy Easter!

Thank you for the responses.

According to the webswoon site, it can be run from the command line; however, the documentation does not indicate the procedure. As such, I have sent an email to the author requesting information regarding the command line syntax as well as the feasibilty of using the program on my hosting server.

Of course, taking the sledge-hammer approach, one could

on the local computer
use a task scheduler to
(1) start apache and php
(2) automatically modify the url file list
(3) start webswoon
(4) use an automated ftp client to transfer the
resulting images to a remote host.

Just looking for a simpler, more elegant solution.

Will keep you posted.

Lite...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.