CarAudioClips.com - Broadcast Your Audio System

yakabod

Been working for weeks on my site for Car Audio Enthusiasts.  Working with custom scripts, template, editing code, etc.  A lot of work I have put on this site and feel that I should finally get a critique by the experts.  :D  Basically, it is a video sharing site for Car Audio Enthusiasts to video their audio systems and instantly upload their videos. They can also edit their profile, comment on other videos and much more. 

Here's the link:

www.CarAudioClips.com

I'm open for suggestions/comments/criticisms, anything that will benefit my site. :)  Thank you!!

Here is a temporary test account:

Username: test

pass: test

Personally I think it looks awesome. Very well done and just looks great.

But I'm picky and hopefully you don't mind, here are some of my thoughts:

1. On the related videos part, it just seems a bit dull. Rather than in text having the rating, the star images would look better. Also I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the padding seems a bit excessive.

2. On the homepage, for random video, to me looks a little odd with all the boxes having the header image below the random video. If it's not supposed to be doing that, I'm using Firefox (v2.0.0.8).

Overall it's great but I do think it needs some freshening up, some of the boxes do look dull and need some work, but nothing major and the functioning of the site is very good.

Thank you for replying! 

1. On the related videos part, it just seems a bit dull. Rather than in text having the rating, the star images would look better. Also I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the padding seems a bit excessive.

What page are you talking about?  How can I improve the padding?

2. On the homepage, for random video, to me looks a little odd with all the boxes having the header image below the random video. If it's not supposed to be doing that, I'm using Firefox (v2.0.0.Cool.

Are you talking about the "Today's Random Video" header below the video? If so, I did that long time ago and forgot to change it. 

but I do think it needs some freshening up, some of the boxes do look dull and need some work, but nothing major

Any suggestions on which boxes you are referring too? I want to make this site close to perfection as I can before I start advertising.

Any other suggestions are welcome.  The more I have, the better. :D  Thank you very much.

What page are you talking about?  How can I improve the padding?

Sorry, when viewing a video. The related videos box. The padding just seems too much to me, but it's hard to say since you probably adjusted it quite a bit to get it right. If not I would lower the padding and see if it looks any better or not.

EDIT: I saw the homepage, I definitely like the boxes like that better. Where the box header image doesn't have space to the left or right of it.

Are you talking about the "Today's Random Video" header below the video? If so, I did that long time ago and forgot to change it.

Yeah that, on the homepage. (I see it's fixed, though you may want to try a white box BG just to see how it'd look)

Cool. My only problems: table forms, slow-opening categories box, a header image (suggest movies) that doesn't fit, and a tag cloud without font sizing. Aside from that it looks good.

1. The site is based on css, there are barely any table forms.  Unless I am thinking something else? 

2. The loading speed on opening a category is pretty fast. Can you point out to me which one you are referring to please?

3. The header logo is perfect because it points out who my audience is and what kind of site it is.  Movie clapper = video clips & sine waves = audio.

4.  In the tag cloud are you talking about when some tags are large and then some are small?  Due to which one is popular and which ones is not?  That's a good suggestion.

Thank you for the review!!  ;D

1. Check the login form, right side-layout tables.

2. The category menu isn't that fast. I click and it takes nearly a second to open completely, but people have come to expect it to open instantly.

3. When I look at it, I skim the page based on the title text and the basic shape of the logo (if present). I don't stop to look at the little details like sine waves until the second or third look-little details shouldn't be used to communicate big things. If you want to use sine waves, then make them big or a running motif of some kind as to make it stand out more.

Oh, and now that I look at it again-I like the header text, and the contrast between caraudio and clips is good, but maybe each word should be a different shade?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.