I finally said, "Screw it!" (Linux convert)

roopurt18

Not really. The majority of servers don't use microsoft products.

Again, where are your sources?  Who is supplying you with such precious information?

I don't know about you, but ALL the schools I've went to ran a Windows Server.  I'm not to sure about the university and community college I went to.  But I do know that that particular community college runs Novell Netware, which I've only seen run with a Windows Server so far.  Unless this little mountain town suddenly acquired SUSE Linux administrators, those which (if they're smart enough) move far away.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. The majority of servers don't use microsoft products.

Again, where are your sources?  Who is supplying you with such precious information?

I don't know about you, but ALL the schools I've went to ran a Windows Server.  I'm not to sure about the university and community college I went to.  But I do know that that particular community college runs Novell Netware, which I've only seen run with a Windows Server so far.  Unless this little mountain town suddenly acquired SUSE Linux administrators, those which (if they're smart enough) move far away.

Okay let's see...

Google

PHPfreaks

Youtube

World of Warcraft

EVE online(seen up to 30 thousand people logged onto 1 server on it lol)

... and almost all major sites that use Apache, which, according to netcraft (even though the results have been skewed in IIS' favor due to parked domains) STILL shows that the vast majority of the internet is ran by Apache

overallc.gif

And ya.. there's also the fact that Linux is kind of the undisputed best operating system for running a server on..

If you don't believe me, try it yourself. Try running a server for a few months on the latest version of Windows Vista. Then try running a server on an up to date Linux distro. You will see for yourself that Linux is far superior for running servers.

GRR LET MY MAKE MY POST >_<

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
-.-

P.S. Google OS/Servers are just tweaked versions of Linux(or Unix?)/Apache.

You're going off topic again.  I'm not gonna sit here and argue the details with you of Windows vs Linux.......or rather Linux vs Windows (whichever order suits you).

You know if you were to be facing a few years in prison and all you had to do to get out of it was to prove to a judge that "a majority of people aren't running Windows"

I can guarantee that if you told him you know because you heard it on

Google

PHPfreaks

Youtube

World of Warcraft &

EVE online

...in the unlikely event you'd have to prove such a thing.......you'd be serving some time.

You're going off topic again.  I'm not gonna sit here and argue the details with you of Windows vs Linux.......or rather Linux vs Windows (whichever order suits you).

You know if you were to be facing a few years in prison and all you had to do to get out of it was to prove to a judge that "a majority of people aren't running Windows"

Google

PHPfreaks

Youtube

World of Warcraft &

EVE online

...in the unlikely event you'd have to prove such a thing.......you'd be serving some time.

Whoa talk about off-topic. You just love making completely unrelated and meaningless analogies, don't you? Well whatever. If you want to run all your servers on Windows be my guest. It's your loss ^^

If you want to run all your servers on Windows be my guest. It's your loss ^^

Alright you've convinced me.  I've seen the light.  I'm just now tearing down all my I love Microsoft posters, setting fire to all my M$ Servers, and discontinuing all my $300/month donation checks to Bill Gates.

Now what?  Am I......worthy of Linux-ness yet?

Yeah I'm going a bit off topic now.

SemiApocalyptic had it right though

Alright you've convinced me.  I've seen the light.  I'm just now tearing down all my I love Microsoft posters, setting fire to all my M$ Servers, and discontinuing all my $300/month donation checks to Bill Gates.
Hurray!

international_fireworks_2_b.jpg

^_^

We're getting a little teeny bit off-topic here, so one of two things will happen: The Linux vs. Microsoft Windows discussion will go elsewhere/stop completely, or the topic will be locked. Let's keep the conversation about converting to Linux - I really really don't want to have to lock this topic, there's a lot of good stuff.

And I realize that "converting to Linux" is bound to bring up some bones to pick with Windows, but you all know what I mean about the off-topic-ness.

GNU/Linux

I didn't see this earlier, so I'll just include it now - you have no idea how pleased I am to see someone else call it that. It's just so frustrating watching the entire operating system be called by a name that really only fits less than 1% of the entire thing, and not giving any credit to RMS and the people that make up the GNU team.

And now for a conversion story a little different than what we've been seeing:

I'm switching to Ubuntu. But that's not all - I'm switching from Gentoo. For those of you who aren't familiar with Gentoo, it's considered to be one of the most difficult distributions to master, since you have to do most everything yourself. The most efficient way to install packages is with a command line utility (emerge), and nearly every package you install gets built from source code. When you're installing the base Gentoo system, you create the partitions yourself, you create the filesystems yourself, and you copy the base system over yourself. There is no automation to it at all - you type every command. Now, since Ubuntu is considered a "beginner" distribution, Gentooers are often wont to scoff at the lowly newbies who don't know the first thing about configuring a kernel, and Gentoo provides massive advantages to people who put in the time and effort to learn it.

But now I'm dropping it. I had no inclination to explore and investigate the Ubuntu side of things, since I was comfortable with Gentoo, and I was under the (incorrect) impression that the Ubuntu package repositories were pretty much static. (One thing I love about Gentoo is that Portage, its package management system, stays almost perfectly up-to-date with the upstream developers.) But my poor education in the subject blinded me to the possibility that there was an unstable (testing) branch of the packages which stays pretty well up-to-date with upstream, something I'm a bit ashamed to admit. :)

The key problem with Gentoo is that you have to build everything from source, so installing a package takes ages. With binary distributions like Ubuntu, Debian, and others, you don't have this problem. That little bonus, coupled with my recent discovery of the unstable branch (again, ashamed to admit that it took so long), has convinced me that Ubuntu will serve my needs beautifully.

One other problem that I had with Ubuntu was that if you wanted to build a program from source, you had to have the headers and development libraries installed for every program and library that it depended on. It's not fun running apt-get a half-dozen times just to get a package to build properly. But in a conversation in the wonder that is IRC, I discovered that you can have aptitude automagically pull the -dev packages when it installs the actual binaries, so that problem is solved. (I have yet to play with it, I'm only downloading the Gutsy LiveCD now.)

Yeah. I switched most of my machines over from gentoo to debian a few months back. Mostly becuase is easier to download the binaries on dialup (yeah, thats right, I'm on freaking dialup).

Gentoo (especially 6 machines) is just a nightmare to maintain on dialup really. I've switched my mail, dev server, router/firewall, laptop and my two vps's over to Debian and have been really enjoying apt. I've also got Debian installed here on my main machine (spare partition) but just havent got anything installed on it yet and Ive been a little busy.

But yeah, I think I'll stick with Debian for a while now.

Google

PHPfreaks

Youtube

World of Warcraft &

EVE online

If you want to run all your servers on Windows be my guest. It's your loss ^^

Now what?  Am I......worthy of Linux-ness yet?

Yeah I'm going a bit off topic now.

SemiApocalyptic had it right though

For a moderator you sure are coming off as an ass, try to cool it.

If you want sources then check netcraft; they use a method of fingerprinting TCP packets that are received from the servers in order to determine what OS they are running. No OS responds in the exact same manner; that is why this finger printing is possible.

Check the sites for yourself on netcraft. Also you can check the banners returned from the web servers(though the banner can easily be faked, so it's not always trustworthy).

Whoa, there's a Google NOS

Never been curious enough to look at Google's response headers?

Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Encoding: gzip
Server: gws
Content-Length: 1736
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 04:51:11 GMT

200 OK

GWS = Google Web Server

When you're installing the base Gentoo system, you create the partitions yourself, you create the filesystems yourself, and you copy the base system over yourself. There is no automation to it at all - you type every command.

Last time I checked Gentoo does have a live cd with GUI installer.

When you're installing the base Gentoo system, you create the partitions yourself, you create the filesystems yourself, and you copy the base system over yourself. There is no automation to it at all - you type every command.

Last time I checked Gentoo does have a live cd with GUI installer.

Yes, they do - but based on all three of my experiences with it, and the experiences of countless people in #gentoo, it has a long way to go before it becomes useful. :) I can honestly say that I've never heard of anybody successfully using the GLI (Gentoo Linux Installer).

And now I'm having tons of problems with media players, so I'm going back to Gentoo. :/

What kind of problem?

Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasant Synaptic-automagically-installs-DVD-decoder experience that someone (can't remember who, don't want to look :)) else did. I was finally able to get encrypted DVDs to play under mplayer, but nothing using the xine library (my favorite) would cooperate.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Gentoo, it's considered to be one of the most difficult distributions to master, since you have to do most everything yourself.

Moreso than Slackware?

No, Slack beats Gentoo hands down for least amount of hand-holding. :)

Hi roopurt18  :D

How about applying and trying VMware to your problem.

You can still use all of your operating system like Win2k Pro, home, WinXP, Vista and Ubuntu etc. etc. simultaneously

in one machine.

see VMware in action here,

see ubuntu running under winxp here,

all i can say is WoW! What can you say roopurt18? Neylitalo how about you?

amazing software...

Neylitalo how about you?

I don't use Windows at all (Clean for three years and still going strong! :)) so it's not really a problem for me, but I suppose virtualization might come in handy if I want to test out a different distribution without actually installing it. I think in that situation, though, I'd probably use Xen, since it's free-as-in-freedom as well as free-as-in-free-beer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.