I finally said, "Screw it!" (Linux convert)

roopurt18

Why not just use Gimp though? ^^

Some people just don't "get" GIMP. I'm finally warming to it, but I still can't do half the stuff I knew how to do in Photoshop. I do all my basic image editing stuff like quick resizes, rescales, cropping, rotating in GIMP or Imagemagick, but anything more advanced, I jump on the Mac and do it in Photoshop. I've paid for it, so why not use it if I can and want to.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to you of course :) I just personally think it's more efficient to have everything I use on one computer.

I find it more efficient doing things I know how to do in cetain packages rather than spending half an hour finding out how to do the same thing in another package - Besides, I have three machines on my desk all running Synergy, so it's as if it was one big computer running 3 operating systems anyway! Best of all three worlds.

Why not just use Gimp though? ^^

If you spent $700 on a program and then learned how to use it, wouldn't you want to keep using it?

I'm sorry, Ive been a Linux and open source user/advicate for many years, but gimp can hardly be compared to PS.

Then there's that.

I've been wanting to use Linux for a long time now, but never came around to it. Mostly because I've accustomed to some apps that don't have equaling Linux counterparts. I started out trying a multiboot setup, but that doesn't really work for getting acquainted to a new OS... I ended up removing it, just because it was too much trouble.

Recently though, my employer decided that he wants to start selling, supporting and hosting some new enterprise LCMS (Learning Content Management System), which runs only on Linux. They don't have any in-house Linux knowledge, so I've been put on the task of mastering Linux, including network administration and the like.

I am REALLY enjoying it, and learning about it reminds me of the things that attracted me to it, most prominently the promise of more control.

The CLI is simply awesome. I've started with some online training courses, and I can't help but voice a "coool" from time to time, which raises a eyebrow with our two MSCEs.  :P I also get an "aaahh" feeling from time to time, as some practices in php that have their origin in Linux suddenly make a little more sense.

As a desktop environment though, I won't be trading in my MS OS anytime soon. There are just too many apps I use that don't run on Linux. That said, I am trying to find the budget to replace my box, and when I do, you can bet your lifesavings on my current box (or possibly even the new one) running some Linux distro.

If you spent $700 on a program and then learned how to use it, wouldn't you want to keep using it?
Not sure. I know for sure though that I wouldn't use a program just because it's expensive. Vista Ultimate is expensive and I wouldn't touch it with a bamboo pole >.>

Not sure. I know for sure though that I wouldn't use a program just because it's expensive. Vista Ultimate is expensive and I wouldn't touch it with a bamboo pole >.>

I agree on the Vista thing, but that's a little different than what roopurt meant - making that analogy is assuming that you wouldn't want to touch Photoshop with a ten-foot pole. Photoshop is an awesome program, therefore, I would expect him to take get his money's worth out of it.

Vista Ultimate is expensive and I wouldn't touch it with a bamboo pole >.>

Have you already purchased Vista though?  I doubt it.

Anyways, completely unrelated.  We have a canon scanner at home that appears to be unsupported in Linux; it's an LiDE 70.  I have a couple of ideas on how I might get it to work, short of writing a driver myself (not gonna happen).

1)  I could try installing the windows drivers with wine.  Not ideal, but if it gets the job done I guess it'll hold over until the scanner is actually supported.

2)  This one is a little far fetched and I'm curious if anyone has tried anything like it.  There is a driver for Mac OS X, which is Unix under the hood.  Canon provides the driver in a .dmg file, which I can convert to an .iso and mount.  Perhaps the necessary drivers are available inside as a .rpm or .deb or something I can install natively.  I'll let you folks know how this one goes!

drivers -- another issue with Linux.

IMO it's only an issue for hardware you already own.  From a go-forward basis it's easy to check if what you're planning to buy is already supported.

BTW I don't know if any of you saw Walmart's $200 PC installed with linux, but I recently read an article that they already sold out of 10,000 of them.

Assuming that trend keeps up and consumers place their ill-will (caused by new hardware not working) towards manufacturers and not the OS, I think we'll see a significant upturn in hardware support from manufacturers in the next year or two.

Vista Ultimate is expensive and I wouldn't touch it with a bamboo pole >.>

Have you already purchased Vista though?  I doubt it·

No. I downloaded for free and tried it, didn't like it.

I wouldn't have kept it if I paid money for it, either. I might ask for my money back though lol (probably wouldn't do any good but why not ^^)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.