I finally said, "Screw it!" (Linux convert)

roopurt18

Hi roopurt18  :D

How about applying and trying VMware to your problem.

You can still use all of your operating system like Win2k Pro, home, WinXP, Vista and Ubuntu etc. etc. simultaneously

in one machine.

see VMware in action here,

see ubuntu running under winxp here,

all i can say is WoW! What can you say roopurt18? Neylitalo how about you?

amazing software...

FYI, VMware is a company, not a product/program thus you can't try/use VMware just like you can't use Microsoft or use Canonical. VMware creates products such as VMware Workstation, VMware Server, VMware Player etc.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi roopurt18  Cheesy

How about applying and trying VMware to your problem.

You can still use all of your operating system like Win2k Pro, home, WinXP, Vista and Ubuntu etc. etc. simultaneously

in one machine.

"Problem" is not the correct term to apply to my situation.  I'm tired of dealing with the windows world and much of what it entails; I also don't like where windows is headed (15GB just to install the OS!).  I don't want to use win2k pro, home, winxp, vista, or any other MS software.  Also, virtualization is great and I love it, but the performance suffers pretty hard in a graphical environment.  Basically, windows is already a resource hog.  VMWare has to use resources while running.  Then GNU/Linux uses resources on top of all that.  If my goal is to run GNU/Linux all the time and ditch windows, theres not much point in adding two layers of extra crap on top of it.

If I had really wanted to use both, I probably would have shelled out $100 for an extra HDD and just installed GNU/Linux there, but I didn't.  Related to this, while installing Ubuntu I encountered a new term: "fake raid."  Boy did I get fooled!

Also, there seems to be some confusion about VMWare.  Yes they do have multiple products and yes VMPlayer is free and can play virtual machines.  But there is also a VMWare server product that is free and allows you to install virtual machines on your computer; you just have to fill out a registration form.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Related to this, while installing Ubuntu I encountered a new term: "fake raid."  Boy did I get fooled!

Yeah, I got screwed over by that too!

On a related note, I upgraded my dev machine from 7.04 to 7.10 today, I couldn't hold off any longer. I was going to leave it a month so that all the creases got ironed out, but after running 7.10 on my home machine and my home server since release, there hasn't really been many updates! When I upgraded to 7.04 there were tonnes of daily updates for a few weeks if I remember correctly!

7.10 - So far so good, few "problems" after the upgrade: I lost sound, and the second core of my processor. Followed some instructions posted on the Ubuntu forums to get my sound working again, not totally sure what I was doing, but I think I was rebuilding the kernel... To get my second core back, I found out that my /boot/grub/menu.lst had been re-jigged during the upgrade and was loading the i386 kernel instead of the generic one, after putting the generic one back to the top of the list, I got my second core back :)

Fixing problems in GNU/Linux is a bit more involved and moderately more scary, but there are plenty of instructions and resources online to help with that.  It doesn't matter what OS you use, you will always have to spend some amount of time keeping it in prime condition.  But based on my experience thus far, GNU/Linux has finally reached the point where it requires substantially less time than to do so on a Windows machine.

BTW, last night I switched my fiance's system over to Ubuntu as well.  Again the installation went without hitch and her system is working wonderfully.  However, she is an accounting major so she'll be a good test-case for how well you can use GNU/Linux in an MS world.  Almost all of her classes require her to use Excel / Access beyond the basic requirement of just opening other files.  She also uses a digital camera and scanner quite frequently.  I'll let you all know how that goes.  :D

She also uses a digital camera and scanner quite frequently.  I'll let you all know how that goes.  :D

My digital camera hook-up has worked great with Ubuntu; I haven't tried my scanner yet. iPods work great, too. (Yes, I finally caved and bought one during a time of heavy travel.)

7.10 - So far so good, few "problems" after the upgrade: I lost sound, and the second core of my processor. Followed some instructions posted on the Ubuntu forums to get my sound working again

Do you think you could find that topic again? I can't get my sound working either after installing in 7.10. It's really annoying me.

7.10 - So far so good, few "problems" after the upgrade: I lost sound, and the second core of my processor. Followed some instructions posted on the Ubuntu forums to get my sound working again

Do you think you could find that topic again? I can't get my sound working either after installing in 7.10. It's really annoying me.

I can't find the thread, but this is what I did:

$ sudo apt-get install module-assistant
$ sudo m-a update
$ sudo m-a prepare
$ sudo m-a a-i alsa
$ sudo reboot

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I tried installing Ubuntu and it wiped my HDD.

...next stop Mac OS X.

If you're installing on anything other than an Apple machine, good luck with OS X if you managed to wipe your hard drive by installing Ubuntu...

I've been running a slackware server at my house for a couple years now.  I've tried out the last 3 versions of ubuntu on a spare computer here at work.  I'm impressed with the latest, but I still say that I prefer KDE to gnome.  I may try kubuntu one day.  I think I will always prefer to use windows as my "daily driver" if you will.  I support OSX at work and while I think apple is getting better, they are better off in a home market, not on a network.

Alright...I think I'm ready to go to Linux now...now that I have my power cable

Gotta question.

I've taken a couple of course at college on Linux..so I'm not completely and utterly new to it, but I can't exactly say I've installed it as much as I have Windows.  I can't count how many times I've done that.

Does linux have a basic installation pattern you go through.  (Assuming I wanted to try it the command line way)....

or I guess I'm asking do all the different distributions of Linux have a different way to install them or are they all pretty much the same procedure?

Do any of you happen to know of any good articles on this somewhere?

The install process was a breeze with Ubuntu, you just follow the on-screen instructions really.

I suggest using the Ubuntu live CD without installing just to see that all your hardware is recognized by the OS.

The only hiccup I had was I had originally wanted to dual-boot.  I went through some hassle trying to resize my windows partition, managed to do it, and then realized that I was running fake-raid and it would cause problems with Linux in a dual-boot scenario.  Then I just said, "Screw it." and erased my entire windows install.

Does linux have a basic installation pattern you go through.  (Assuming I wanted to try it the command line way)....

or I guess I'm asking do all the different distributions of Linux have a different way to install them or are they all pretty much the same procedure?

The installation differs from distribution to distribution. You could check their documentations. If you use the GUI installer then there shouldn't be any problems providing it recognized all your hardware.

well what I remember from class is...we had to create three partitions

root

boot

and swap

I've forgotten which one had the most memory 0n it....I think it was boot..not sure at all

then at some point I had to use vi to edit a few files

I had to change my video file to change to 32 bit or something like that and to change my resoultion if I wanted

I had to change a bootup file to let it boot using startx and to switch any harddrives

and to tell it to use grub or lilo...I don't remember any difference in the two other than the spelling, but I know they're boot managers

I probably left out like 40 blanks here but I hope I painted somewhat of a pattern that I'm talking about.

I don't really want to use the GUI installer .... I just want to dive in and learn it for what it's worth.  I'm hoping I can find a good article giving me these missing instructions.

These Linux classes sure would have been a lot better if all the students in them actually wanted to learn Linux.

We had to spend the whole the class (1h45m) on one little subject, because the whole class mostly wouldn't understand...anything

If only they all caught onto it we could have installed more than one copy of Linux...we installed redhat fedora but never got around to suse

well what I remember from class is...we had to create three partitions

root

boot

and swap

I've forgotten which one had the most memory 0n it....I think it was boot..not sure at all

/boot is almost definitely the smallest partition. You usually only set /boot to about 32M - just enough to fit the grub files and a few kernels. The rule of thumb for swap space is memory*2, with a maximum of 2G. If you've got 2G of memory, you're pretty much assured to never need to use swap space. And in the typical three-partition setup (the layout you described - root, boot, and swap) your / (root) partition should occupy the entirety of the free space. Everything has to go on your root partition.

I don't really want to use the GUI installer .... I just want to dive in and learn it for what it's worth.  I'm hoping I can find a good article giving me these missing instructions.

If you're this motivated, there are a few possibilities. On one end of the dive-right-in spectrum are Slackware or Gentoo. I assume that slack's installation process is not graphical, but if it is, Gentoo's is not. (There's a Gentoo GUI installer, but it is teh suck.) The Gentoo installation process is very well documented, and if you follow the directions, you will graduate with a fully functional system. If you stray from the beaten path, odds are that it won't work quite right. :)

And on the other (extreme) end of the dive-right-in spectrum is LFS - Linux From Scratch. :) This is not a distribution. It's DIY. You do everything - download the sources for each individual package, unpack them, and configure, build, and install them. I suspect that you won't want to try this one, at least not without a bit more experience under your belt. I just thought I'd mention it.

Yeah...I doubt I want to try to track down all the packages for LFS.  That sounds more like work than learning..

Gentoo seems like it might be a good choice. The way you describe it.  I've heard from my professor that slackware is something you don't want to dive right into so I'll pass that as well.

As long as Gentoo can handle Crossover Office, I'm alright.

I have Ubuntu right here but I've installed it already before and I never learned that much about "Linux" really.  Well I didn't keep it that long though, but still.  I know .... more......now than I did when I installed it the first time.  Meaning I installed it before I took those linux courses

Forgive me for the self-plug, but I just installed Photoshop CS2 on Ubuntu in a much more simple and straight-forward fashion that most web sites would have you believe possible.  Most of the How-tos out there require an existing CS2 installation on Windows and what seems like headache I didn't want to bother with.

You can read my solution here:

http://rbredlau.com/drupal/node/9

Or...

I'll keep this really short. I discovered how to install CS2 from the CD. No existing Windows installations. No registry-work. No bit torrent.

You need to have wine installed before you continue. I won't cover that here, there's plenty of good documentation on that subject already. You do need to know where your "Windows c drive" is located; for me it was /home/USER/.wine/drive_c. I used wine version wine-0.9.49

Create a sub-folder under drive_c; I called mine cs2. So now I had a directory /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/cs2

Copy the CS2 CD contents into the sub-folder.

Now if you look in this folder, there is a Setup.exe that will not run; it just complains about a missing .ini file. Well that sucks, don't it? Read on!

There is another folder named Adobe® Photoshop® CS2. On my machine it was under /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/cs2/Adobe® Photoshop® CS2. Inside this folder is another setup.exe; it seems to run under wine. I had CS2 installed in under 10 minutes start to finish.

I do believe it is safe to remove the directory containing the CD's contents from your system. I renamed mine and everything still appears to work.

Warning / Note

I do not use CS2 in my daily routine, nor my weekly routine. In fact I hardly ever use it. But I do own a copy for some web design. As such, I can't begin to tell you which plug-ins will or won't work. I can't tell you how stable it is. I can't tell you what parts of the GUI are present or absent. The only thing I can vouch for is that this is much easier than dealing with any other method I found on Google.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.