Google making us dumb?

Zane

I think the author needs to take a step back before considering Google. What about computers in general? Without an internet connection you can still open a calculator, load a program to do unit conversion, and so on. It's how the tool is used that determines the outcome.

actually google is making us smarter (atleast me), it found this forum for me^^ and before i come here for help I always use google.. therefore I'm getting help either way so that's like saying this forum is making us dumb because it does basically the same as google does (answer your questions). I guess it could make someone dumb but that's their problem if they choose to use google before they actually try as hard as they can to do it without any kind of help. If i get a problem I sit here for ages trying to figure it out lol THEN i try google THEN i try the forum (and the forum has the best results)  :P

Nah I guess Google/the Internet in general is making people smarter which is a good thing due to how messed up the Schools are these days (at least in the UK).

In my 5 Years of High School I didn't learn that much. In my 3 Years of using the Internet my knowledge has vastly expanded even in such a way that I could make a career out of it.

Nah I guess Google/the Internet in general is making people smarter which is a good thing due to how messed up the Schools are these days (at least in the UK).

In my 5 Years of High School I didn't learn that much. In my 3 Years of using the Internet my knowledge has vastly expanded even in such a way that I could make a career out of it.

My school is ok, I'm in B  :P *brainy* lol I was ALMOST moved up to A *amazing* but I bitched about it and refused to do any work if they took me out of my classes and put me in a class of people that I don't exactly like^^ I have the highest grades in my year (year 9) in math, biology, chemistry, english, french AND IT  ;D I'm just sooooooo clever lol scary! ok now I really feel like a nerd^^ But I don't even look like 1 so that must be a good thing!

I was clever enough I guess but it doesn't just take one to want to learn, it takes one to be able to teach. Most of the teachers these days while they know what they're talking about; don't know how to teach it. :-\

Anyway once I got to Year 10 and 11 I messed everything up... if you're doing so well now just try stick at it until the end or you'll regret it a few Years later. I do. ;)

good point. I have an AS in Web Technology and Netwoking and I think it's a problem when one of the teachers didn't even know what PHP was!!! (true story) So this degree was a total waste of time since I knew way more then all of the teachers that I was taking classes from.

But that's not what matters. Even if your knowledge outweighed your Teacher's, you have a qualification now. That's all that counts, so it wasn't really a waste of time if you think about it.

I disagree. In England, GCSEs are still a qualification, but they're barely worth the paper their written on.

I really don't think that getting the most efficiency out of our web browsing is making us stupider.

Though, I agree that simple things such as unit conversion done by google is making us little less informed about how to do simple tasks.

If google was making me dumber every single time I used it to search something, I would be real idiotic right now.

I learnt how to do many things on google, but still, I know that 70% of people still doesn't know how to search with google to get specific data.

Alike real keywords such as intitle, inurl, filetype and many others.

You are right about GCSE's I completely agree with you, I know people who have straight A's for their GCSE's. It doesn't guarantee you anything, just proves you didn't have too great of a social life during School. :D

Plently of people get straight As without doing any work - you can still have a good social life and get good grades.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.