[SOLVED] Port 135 and 1025?

Azu

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to make them stop listening on those ports. If you read the GRC page on port 1025 (http://www.grc.com/port_1025.htm), you'll see them describing this as a vulnerability and a flaw. These are Microsoft services, and they don't really have interfaces for you to set properties or settings or anything, so I don't think that it's possible to change the fact that they're "flapping in the internet breeze". (Quote from the GRC page.)

I suppose you're right - firewalls are imperfect, since after all, they're only a product of man, and we all know that man is not infallible. Bugs are a very real possibility. However, these bits of technology, whether they're hardware or software or combinations of both, are very effective, and they are universally trusted as one of the premier ways to prevent assaults on computers. I will be among the first to tell you that you shouldn't depend entirely on the Windows Firewall that is included with Windows XP, but also among the first to tell you that it's infinitely better than nothing. If you've got a hardware firewall, that's even better.

I suppose we should have explained this much, much earlier, but I honestly believe that a firewall is the only solution to your problem. Multiple firewalls are good, too - for example, I run iptables on all of my machines, and also on the gateway to the internet. You could consider doing something like that.

Okay.. thanks for the explanation guys.. I guess there just isn't a way to do this without killing the process (which I don't want to do).

In that case I want to be sure that the firewall I am using is good. And also I am not sure what kind of hardware firewall I should you? I'm guessing that you mean a router, but I'm not sure which kind are the most reliable? I know I could probably find a lot of opinions about this on Google, but I would trust an opinion from here much more then from random people on websites that I don't know. So which would be the best hardware firewall?

And is Jetico a good software firewall for XP 64bit? Or is there a more secure one that I should use instead?

P.S. is there by any chance a way to edit these Microsoft services so that they will stop listening? Like through hex editing or disassembling? I'm guessing that there isn't but I figured I may as well ask ^^

P.S. is there by any chance a way to edit these Microsoft services so that they will stop listening? Like through hex editing or disassembling? I'm guessing that there isn't but I figured I may as well ask ^^

that would probably be classed as reverse engineering which would/could possibly invalidate your copy of windows, or just generally screw things up. i'd heavily recommend against going down this road.

i know it's Windows, but i think that some people can be a little TOO paranoid (with many good reasons, admittedly). Alot of people will install firewalls and norton this and that and anything else they can find, and then go recklessly off on voyages to dodgy sites or downloading/installing dodgy software without any care or thought at all. simply sticking to reputable sites and sources, and only downloading from those places, will go a long way to keeping you safe.

a copy of AVG or similar to keep your computer clean of virus', coupled with the built in Windows firewall, is generally fine as long as you go about your surfing with a bit of care. i tried zone alarm and stuff like that but they were just annoying the hell out of me, and the simpler version has kept me going for years without (so far so good) any issues to speak of.

i have a laptop which i work from most of the time, and it has XAMPP installed for local testing. i'm not sure why i started to get into the habit of it, but there's a little switch on the side of my computer that disables the wireless connection altogether which i use when i'm not needing to use the internet.

Okay.. I will stick with my current firewall for now then.

I would like to clarify though that my computer is on the internet 24/7 and is a server, so although I probably shouldn't be paranoid if all I use it for is normal surfing, I think that I should try to make it secure since I run servers on it. And also I want to see if it is possible to make a Windows server secure. I'd use Linux but it doesn't really run games very good even with wine, and duel booting would mean restarting over and over (which I don't want to do since I run some servers) and don't really have the money for multiple computers.. so I am stuck with Windows and want to try to make it as secure as I can ^^

Also, what kind of hardware firewall would you recommend? Like which kind are the most secure for website/PHP servers? I think this is probably the best place to get an answer for this since this forum is mostly devoted to PHP servers :) oh and it would be good if it wasn't to expensive.. I don't care if it will take forever to set it up as long as it will be very secure and won't cost a whole lot.

Edit: P.S. I don't really care if something would be against the microsoft EULA or whatever. I'm using a pirated version Windows anyways (I did buy Windows legitimately but it didn't want to validate -.- so I gave up trying to install it legitly, I mean I paid for it so no problems right ^^).

Also, what kind of hardware firewall would you recommend?

I would recommend getting a cheap pc, installing two nics and running a Linux firewall (iptables).

I have all my machines behind a custom built Linux firewall running on an old PII 500Mhz.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.