User System Site

Coreye

Hey guys,

I need opinions and suggestions on a open source user system website the I have been helping make. It's not all the way completed yet, but I would rather get suggestions and opinions now so we can add what's needed. What needs to be changed? What needs to be added? Is it easy to navigate?

The link is; http://us.scriptscribes.net/site:Home. http://us.scriptscribes.net/ is NOT the website we are using. But http://us.scriptscribes.net/site:Home is.

The site was designed to work best in FireFox and Internet Explorer 7.0.

Thanks,

Corey

I really like it. Nice, clean and has a good color choice! Maybe you can shorten the navigation. Are all those links needed?

I also recommend increasing the padding on the text div, but that's more like nitpicking.

Overall, well done!  ;)

Hey,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We could do drop down menus, but I really don't like those that much. I'm thinking of removing "Requested Features" from the main navigation and adding it to a smaller navigation under "Feature Request" like the image below.

ss01jh7.png

I REALLY REALLY like that you use CSS for the rollovers instead of javascript like most do.

Your site looks great. I like the different color schemes and buttons. Tell me when you release this user system, as I might use it!

Text needs padding.

I agree. A line height of between 1.2 and 1.4 would look better.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We added a line height of 1.4.

I think the main nav rollover could be better, and (at least in Opera), the rounded corners on the undernav and text box look a bit messed up. Also, the text in the text box needs some padding on the sides.

Can you be more specific, what about the roll over could be better?

As I stated the site was designed to appear best in FireFox and Internet Explorer.

If you want your website to be good then don't be all "well.. it seems to work in MOST browsers.. so it's fine lol" .

I'm not saying that, I never said it works in most browsers. I told you which browsers it was best viewed in. As I stated in my first post, it was designed to work best in those browsers. We know what browsers it works in and what browsers it doesn't which is why I told you guys ahead of time so you knew what browser to view the site in. It may not work in all browsers, so if you want to view the site the way it's suppose to be please use FireFox or Internet Explorer 7.0.

You should really design for more than just the latest version of Firefox/I.E. When I design I try get it working in I.E. 5, 6, 7 Firefox 1-3, Safari 3, Opera 7+ then you're catering to pretty much 99% of browsers that people actually realistically use (without depending on outdated statistics). There are a lot of bugs with css between browsers but if there weren't what fun would it be anyway?

There are techniques/hacks to ensure things work cross browser, you've just gotta find 'em.

You should really design for more than just the latest version of Firefox/I.E. When I design I try get it working in I.E. 5, 6, 7 Firefox 1-3, Safari 3, Opera 7+ then you're catering to pretty much 99% of browsers that people actually realistically use (without depending on outdated statistics). There are a lot of bugs with css between browsers but if there weren't what fun would it be anyway?

There are techniques/hacks to ensure things work cross browser, you've just gotta find 'em.

Drop IE5, very bad browser and it rather rare at this time. IE6 is the dominant browser. The fact that your site looks horrible in it (IS REALLY BAD)  :-\

YOu don't have to worry about old Opera/Firefox versions -->

Opera and Firefox requires for semi-smart to smart people to download and install it in the first place, so I'm sure they already got the updates. Everyone else - the idiots - use IE.

The only people who use IE are people who don't realize that when you buy a PC you don't have to use the supplied Browser and there are better alternatives out there. Or people who's parents won't let them download Firefox because they are overly paranoid of the Internet  (I've seen that happen before). If PCs shipped with IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari, I bet new computer users would ditch IE and use one of the others for sure.

Nonetheless, people still use I.E. I'll get you some statistics from my site.

This is in the last Month (all of October).

BROWSER                HITS                PERCENT

Msie 7.0                2822             29.9 %

Msie 6.0                771             8.1 %

Msie 5.5                27             0.2 %

Msie 5.0                13             0.1 %

Firefox 2.0.0.9       1297           13.7 %

Firefox 2.0.0.8       792           8.4 %

Firefox 2.0.0.7      238           2.5 %

Firefox 2.0.0.6      247           2.6 %

Firefox 2.0       27             0.2 %

Firefox 1.6       13             0.1 %

Firefox 1.5.0.4      29             0.3 %

Firefox 1.5       13             0.1 %

Firefox 1.0.7       39             0.4 %

Firefox 1.0.1       13             0.1 %

Firefox 1.0       55             0.5 %

Firefox 0.9.6       14             0.1 %

Firefox 0.9.2       12             0.1 %

Firefox 0.9.1         9             0 %

Firefox 0.8         13             0.1 %

Firefox 0.10       14             0.1 %

Netscape 7.1        13                   0.1 %

Netscape 6.2.1     21                 0.2 %

Netscape 4.7       5                   0 %

Unknown        2601         27.6 %

Mozilla                 103             1 %

Links                    67             0.7 %

Opera                  47           0.4 %

Phoenix                38           0.4 %

K-Meleon       26           0.2 %

Firebird (Old Firefox)17         0.1 %

Camino                  13           0.1 %

Konqueror              2           0 %

Safari                   2             0 %

Wget                 1             0 %

Opera and Firefox requires for semi-smart to smart people to download and install it in the first place, so I'm sure they already got the updates.

Look up, you sure about that?

I realize my site isn't very active so think what the statistics would look like on a huge site. I only have a few visitors and look at those statistics...

In any case, it's always good to make sure that you're website complies with standards and works in more then just the top 3 browsers.

Trust me you won't regret it :)

@Aureole,

interesting statistics.

Mine are a bit different, if you want to compare here they are

Registered users using these browsers; internet Exploder: (4809)25.9%, Firefox: (3388)18.3%, Opera (478)2.6%, Safari (53).29%, Mozilla (27).15%, Netscape(17).09%, AOL(7).04%

Unknown(users registered before I started keeping track of browsers) (9768)52.7%

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.