Any musicians in the house?

zq29

I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, and a few weeks ago I thought "Sod it, I'll buy one!" - So I bought a guitar and amp, as I have no room for a drum kit or piano! A week or so later I picked up some pedals, then two weeks ago I bought another guitar, it's a bit addictive this music lark! (I'm already compiling a list of stuff I want to buy myself for Christmas :D)

I wouldn't yet consider myself a musician, after all, I have only been "playing" for less than two months - I can't even play a song, just a collection of short riffs, but loving it loads.

Anyone else play an instrument here, or involved with music in any way?

Anyone else play an instrument here, or involved with music in any way?

Actually, I was a music minor in college. I studied piano and voice. I played the trumpet all through Jr high and high school, and although I have one, I haven't had the time to pick it up in years. I have, in the last couple years, started teaching myself classical guitar. I actually own an acoustic, but I primarily use it in classical style.

I went through the same phase about 3 years ago. I started by buying an electronic drum kit,  later picked up a harmonica, mouth harp, thunder tubes, boomwhackers, a musical saw, and acquired an electronic piano on a good deal. One day I was walking through a knick-knack store when I ran across a toy button accordion. I took it home, had a blast, bought a bigger one with more buttons, then finally found a teacher and made the jump to piano accordion. It's now my main instrument and much fun :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

SA - whilst you're on a buying spree, i'm selling a Gibson Les Paul......hehe

Got 3 guitars (GLP, Ibanex and a Washburn acoustic) - just sold a 12-string, and a keyboard (which lives in the loft, hardly ever used) plus loads of random bits and pieces, multitrackers and cables galore.

I bought a Mac a few years ago fully stuffed with Logic Pro 6, BFD (Big Fat Drums) and Amplitube - loved it! I don't get the time as much these days so will probably shift most of it and keep the bits i need to keep recording little demos. I don't consider myself a musician really, mainly because of the time limits, but I'd never be able to do without having a guitar around the house. Am even looking at trying to get a proper band together at some point now things have settled down a bit.

So yeah! Another (sort of) musician in the house!

You certainly don't see many of those these days.

It depends on where you look. It's nearly dead in the U.S., but still holding up well elsewhere. Chromatic button accordions with a free bass system are the real deal; they're like carrying a piano on your chest, but better.

I particularly enjoy

video.

effigy: I don't know if that's yours, or if it's just an example you used, but either way, it's absolutely beautiful.

And on a bit simpler note, that's a lot of buttons. :)

That is mine. Thanks :D That's the standard Stradella bass system and it's not as scary as it seems--2 rows are bass and 4 are chords. The drawback to this system is that it has a smaller range of tones overall.

I've been playing the acoustic guitar for about a year and a half.

My dad's always played guitar around me since I was a kid so I probably just picked up the hobby.

Don't really consider myself a musician, but I can learn a song if I want...just for hobby's sake

My two favorite songs to play all the time are Dust in the Wind and Stairway to Heaven.  Well..the only two I know really well I guess I should say.

I can't remember who originally said it, but "A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes but doesn't"

Vienne, VeroniqueThe Art of Doing Nothing.  New York: 1998

At least according to Google.  There were others about drums, trumpets and guitars.

I have always loved the sounds of bagpipes.  My mother told me that her father would rather jump in front of a train then listen to "that noise".  It's a good thing I don't have to worry about that now.

SA - whilst you're on a buying spree, i'm selling a Gibson Les Paul......hehe

Oh, tempting! Just picked up a Fender American Telecaster (in antique white, oh so lovely :)) though, no more guitars this year for me! I'm not getting another one until I'm good enough to pick one off the rack in a shop and test it out without looking like a newbie!

I've played guitar for the last 24 years (started with lessons wjhen I was 8). Been in bands most of my life, but gave it up around 18 months or so ago. Everyone is all grown up now days. We used to run a bit of a much touring the country in hour beat up commadore and trailer.

More recently I started producing experimental electronic stuff from home (last 6 years or so), but yeah, Ive pretty much given that up in the last 2 years or so as well.

I still play allot of guitar and record a bit of stuff at home. My fiance is a drummer, so on occassion we'll have a jam but nothing too serious. I am looking at getting another band started early in the new year. Some sort of prog rock instrumental type thing. The kind of stuff that near puts you to sleep. Mogwai style.

I've been in music for most of my life. I've been playing drums/percussion for something like 13+ years then a dabble enough in guitar, bass, and piano to get by. Neither of my parents are very musical...so I don't know where I got it from but thats cool with me. I'm in 1 serious band and a few side projects so I'm always pretty busy on top of everything else. I have a massive list of equipment too, but I don't wanna type that much now :). I actually have a gig tonight which should be a lot of fun!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.